And here we go...!

Noticed the pool water was getting low today -- perhaps after 2 weeks of brutal sun? Popped the hose in to fill it up for an hour or so -- got it halfway up the skimmer. Letting it run now for a bit after dumping some bleach in -- run some tests tonight or in the AM to bring it to proper levels I suppose.

Also, got me thinking about CLOSING the pool. I saw some threads on here I'll have to get into, but I'll assume the TFP community generally closes their own pool in its own fashion, as opposed to hiring a hit-crew to come in and do the work.

LOL There is a link for that! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I also keep mine open all year. My husband even gets in for a quick dip to cool off after his HOT bath to get his old bones moving in the morning in the middle of winter. burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr NOT ME!

Kim

Crazytown.

This AM results after a water add:

FC- 6.5
CC- .5
TA- 90
pH- 7.5
CYA- 85
CH 175

So, never had a CC reading come back before... but once I added the drops it turned a tiny, tiny shade of pink that required 2 drops to get back to "crystal clear"... so I'll suppose that counts as a .5 of CC?

Crazytown.

This AM results after a water add:

FC- 6.5
CC- .5
TA- 90
pH- 7.5
CYA- 85
CH 175

So, never had a CC reading come back before... but once I added the drops it turned a tiny, tiny shade of pink that required 2 drops to get back to "crystal clear"... so I'll suppose that counts as a .5 of CC?
Hmm, 2 drops x 0.5 each equals CC @ 1.0ppm.

Dom

not sure how I didn't see this thread before, so I'm a little late to the party! One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that some of us (including me) lose CYA over the winter, mine goes to zero. Since we are so close to the end of the swimming season, you might not want to do a drain on your pool but wait to see how it is next year.

You're doing a great job so far!

Thanks, Earl!

So -- I've stocked up on some bleach for the rest of the season which is nice.

I am noticing, however, that my poo water level is ever so slowly dropping. I added a top off to get the level above the skimmer basket's 2nd screwhole (about halfway up and then some) 5 days ago. Today, I've noticed it dropped to under said screwhole -- maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch total? Granted -- it's been sunny and dry for the past week -- but does that sound like standard evaporation or loss?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bucket test------

"The trick here would be a "bucket test". Place a bucket of water in the pool so that it sticks out above the waterline, like maybe on the top step in the shallow end. Make a mark on the side of the bucket at the level of the water inside the bucket, and another mark at the level of the pool water. Next day, mark the levels again. Both inside and outside the bucket should lose to evaporation at the same rate, so if the pool level drops more than the bucket level, you have a leak."

Here is a link to the tread that was in if you want to read other ideas as well.

Evaporation???

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.