Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much chlorine to swim?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much chlorine to swim?

Good Morning,
    This is my first year with a pool. My levels are below. I took a reading this morning.
    PH 7.8
    FC 10
    Alkalinity 120
    Stabilizer 30

When is it safe for my daughter and I to swim?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much chlorine to swim?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Your pool is safe to swim now. You have a CYA level of 30, so your FC shock level is 12ppm, and your recommended target range is 2-6ppm. As long as the water is clear, and you have FC between 12ppm and 2ppm of chlorine you are safe to swim.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

See here
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Anything below shock FC level is safe for swimming. That assumes, of course, that your measured values are fairly accurate. What is the source of the results you list?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your quick reply! I do just have the test strips...nothing too advanced so it only goes up to 10...it is the same exact color as the purple on the 10 though...still okay? (I'm a worrier!!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Given that you are using test strips, which are not very accurate, you have to be skeptical of both your CYA (stabilizer) and chlorine results. Since chlorine is apparently measuring at the top of the scale for the test strip, it might actually be well above 10. I would wait to swim until it tests below 10.

In terms of successful long term management of your pool, I'd suggest doing some reading in Pool School, so you feel more familiar with the various chemical parameters and how to manage them yourself.

What size and type of pool?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

6. Back To Top    #6

30 ft round above ground
    Thank you!