Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae Cleared Up Now Another Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae Cleared Up Now Another Problem

I used the SLAM method to shock my pool and kill algae and it was crystal clear yesterday when I got home. I checked it again this morning before I left and it was still clear. Well the water level in the pool was low so I plugged up a sump pump that I use to pump water from a nearby creek into the pool. I had someone that was supposed to cut it off for me when the water level got high enough. Well while I was gone we got an unexpected storm and the creek got fairly murky now my pool is green again. When I checked the FC when I got home it was still at shock level so that makes me think its not algae, but I'm definitely no expert. Assuming its not algae will the filter and maintaining shock levels take care of it or will I need to drain? Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae Cleared Up Now Another Problem

Keep it at shock level and let it settle and vacuum out the sediment. It will probably clear in a day or two.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Should I leave the pump on or will I need to keep it off so that the sediment will settle?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by rdockery_3 View Post
    Should I leave the pump on or will I need to keep it off so that the sediment will settle?
    I'd leave it on a while so you can check FC levels before bed and allow time for it to mix before shutting it down overnight. You run the risk of clogging the filter and you won't be there to watch it. Ideally, you'll get to vacuum before leaving for work and can backwash and leave it run at shock level again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I'd leave it on a while so you can check FC levels before bed and allow time for it to mix before shutting it down overnight. You run the risk of clogging the filter and you won't be there to watch it. Ideally, you'll get to vacuum before leaving for work and can backwash and leave it run at shock level again.
    Should I vacuum to waste or filter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rdockery_3 View Post
    Should I vacuum to waste or filter?
    Your choice. If the water level is now super high, waste might be nice. But if you end up having to add more water again, you'll just be diluting things even more which means more rebalancing.

Some of us don't have a mnultiport, so we always vacuum to filter. You already know a backwash is in your future after this.