Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just want to swim!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

I just want to swim!!!!

I'm new, I'm learning, and here are some readings from a pool that had gone green and is getting clearer.

FC 9
    CC 1.5
    TC 10.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 80
    CYA black dot remained so I'm guessing less than 20 mark?
    I've been adding bleach for a couple days. Pool getting clearer, BUT I'm not swimming!!
    I have the TF 100
    Am I on the right track w numbers?

Thanks
    KKimmy

16x32 inground Vinyl Liner. Rectangular 8ft deep end , 4 ft shallow. Sand filter, Hayward 1hp,2 skimmers, Aqua Genie & Hayward. 2 return jets & 1 main drain. Liquid chlorine & tablets. Corner steps, diving board , ladder TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I just want to swim!!!!

Yes. Just keep the pool at SLAM value for your cya of 20.....which is 10. And I'd go over that # by a few points at night too. Keep it circulating and filtering. Consider bringing your cya to level of 30. You can swim up to SLAM value ya' know! Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much. To get cya to increase can I add "whatever it is I'm suppose to" in addition to the bleach adds? And what do I add to raise CYA? Now Im being lazy and just asking .....sorry!
    KKimmy

16x32 inground Vinyl Liner. Rectangular 8ft deep end , 4 ft shallow. Sand filter, Hayward 1hp,2 skimmers, Aqua Genie & Hayward. 2 return jets & 1 main drain. Liquid chlorine & tablets. Corner steps, diving board , ladder TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, at least you admit it. LOL! CYA aka stabilizer aka conditioner can be bought at places such as Wal-Mart, etc. Careful to not overshoot....it's easier to add more later than to have to drain/refill to get it out.

Study up in Pool School and use Pool Math to help you with amounts of additions.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry

Welcome to TFP!
    27' Above Ground, 18K gallons, 1.5 hp pump, Cartridge Filter, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you ever added CYA? Have you ever used chlorine pucks or granular chlorine shock? If the answer to these three questions is no, then you don't have any at all. It is not in tap water and bleach does not add it.

Now, don't just toss the CYA in the water. Use Pool Math to figure out how much you need to get to 30 and carefully measure that amount and put it in an old sock that has a tight enough weave to contain the granules. Either float this in front of a return or place it in a skimmer as long as it does not block the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is a handy page that covers pool chemicals, what they do and how to add them.
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Ws swam while we were SLAMing every day for a week and a half. Keep your FC 1or2 ppm under shock level for your CYA, Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I've never added cya... I use tablets in my Aqua genie skimmer and I have a floating chlorine tablet dispenser. Went to Walmart bought some hth stabilizer & conditioner. I'm getting ready to test water and then figure out this cya dosage. Thanks for ALL help. I appreciate it!
    KKimmy

8. Back To Top    #8

Just tested & this is what I got:
    FC 4
    CC 1
    TC 5
    PH 7.2
    TA 90
    CYA filled tube past 20 mark & black dot didn't dissapear.
    From my first readings can anyone tell me if water is getting better ? Or worse?
    KKimmy

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to get your FC up. Your CC is dropping so that is good.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

10. Back To Top    #10

Your FC is not high enough for a SLAM. How does your water look?

Take a pic looking down at your steps and post it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

KKimmy, Welcome to TFP from your neighbor just up the road to the North on hiway 82. You need use PoolMath with a 23,000 gallon target to at least target 30ppm which would require 96oz by volume stabilizer.

You got quality help from the above members they can fix anything! along with your help.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

12. Back To Top    #12

Just tested & this is what I got:
    FC 4
    CC 1
    TC 5
    PH 7.2
    TA 90
    CYA filled tube past 20 mark & black dot didn't dissapear.
    From my first readings can anyone tell me if water is getting better ? Or worse?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Attached Images Attached Images
    KKimmy

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by KKimmy View Post
    I use tablets in my Aqua genie skimmer and I have a floating chlorine tablet dispenser. Went to Walmart bought some hth stabilizer & conditioner.
    I say take the stablizer back and get your money back. Use your tabs to increase your CYA and get the benefit of the chlorine to boot.

14. Back To Top    #14

Hey OU! Thanks for Welcome!
    KKimmy

15. Back To Top    #15

Kkimmy, It can take up to a week for the CYA to register on your test. Just assume what you added got you to your Target CYA level for the SLAM.
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

16. Back To Top    #16

Your water is already turning blue! Keep up the SLAM and you will have a clear pool!

Take a pic of your steps each day and we can all watch it clear.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

KKimmy I guess until you have pool ready for relaxation..... you can relax floating down the Illinois River by canoe. It will be just a matter of time and that big inground pool will be sparkling clear.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

18. Back To Top    #18

10pm and my readings are.........
    FC 11
    CC 1
    TC 12
    TA 90
    CYA 25
    PH 7.2

I have cya in 3 socks in my pool. 96oz total. My water looks so much better than this past Tuesday! Thanks to anyone who gave me some tips or just welcomed me to this site!!!
    KKimmy

19. Back To Top    #19

While you are doing a SLAM the only thing you need to test is the FC and CC..

When your FC is over 10 the PH test is not valid.

Keep it as close to SLAM level as much as you can. If you are going to be gone for a few hours you push the FC up a little over so that it will not go below your goal.

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

8:30 am
    FC 27.5
    CC 1
    TC 28.5
    TA 90
    CYA 30

PH 7.2
    I haven't vacuumed yet
    image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -
    KKimmy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast