Milky white water after gritty substance removal

You need to put bleach in as often as you see that the FC is below SLAM level.

At the beginning it can be as often as every 30 mins. Yeah that much and that fast!

Once you see that the FC is holding you can go longer with your tests.

Kim

It's just one for your first dose to go from 0 to 12FC. In an hour you'll test your FC again. You'll add what you need then.

For example, Add your first dose. (To get to 12FC)

In one hour you test and find that it went down to 8FC. Put that in pool math and it will tell you to add 45oz to get back up to 12.

Another hour goes by, check FC. This time it came down to 10. Pool math will tell y ou to add 22oz this time to get back to 12.

For the examples I entered your pool volume in pool math and used 12.5% for the bleach strength.

At first it it will consume the chlorine more quickly. At some point you'll do a test and it will have only gone down a little. That will be when you know you can start stretching out the testing.

You don't *have* to test and dose as often as 30 minutes to an hour but the more often you can do right at first the quicker you can get to the point where it will start to hold longer.

You'll be able to start stretching out the tests. The goal is to do your best to keep it at SLAM level as much as possible.

Your testing is going to tell you how much you need to add each time. It won't always be the same especially right at first.

Just remember 12 is your SLAM level so you're getting it there and then maintaining that level until the SLAM is completed.

Is it starting to make sense yet? :)

*side note* I was worried when reading because I thought you were worried about using so much. Then I realized you think it should need more. The pool store method would have you dumping buckets of "shock" in the pool to more or less nuke it. We're much more controlled here. The CYA/FC chart along with the recommended shock level in Pool Math will give you the most effective level to kill algae and at the same time not risk damage to your pool. You'll be using plenty of chlorine...it will just be in smaller doses as you maintain a steady effective level rather than all at once which sometimes shows quick results but is the same as stopping a prescription antibiotic when you start to feel a little better instead of waiting until the end of the prescription. The purpose of the SLAM is not a big quick kill off but a steady effective level until you're sure nothing is hiding and waiting to pop back up when you go back to maintenance levels. Best of all, it works! :)

The criteria to know when you are finished is in the SLAM article. Crystal clear water, CC <=0.5, pass OCLT. Link to OCLT instructions are in the SLAM. article. I recommend reading the SLAM article again, you will understand it more now that you've started the process. It wouldn't hurt to read it every other day till you know it by heart.

Ok I'm putting basically 1 gallon in per hour and it's not even making a dent in the FC, CC levels. I guess just keep doing this? It's pretty sunny out there by the way, I'm sure that has something to do with it?

I also added 3 pounds of the recommended CYA in a sock by the inlet jet. My CYA was still basically 0 after an hour.

Oh and I guess pH is not reliable because I'm doing a SLAM..which is good because that's at 0 (now) too.

Cya will dissolve but will take up to 1 week to actually show on the test. If it's dissolved it's working. Assume it's there.

If your FC is under 10 you can test pH. Over. 10 the pH test is not accurate. You don't need to test pH during a SLAM. Once you set it and start the SLAM you usually wait until the SLAM is over and FC is back under 10 to test pH and readjust it if necessary.

What are your FC test results looking like?

Are you registering *any* FC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found it helpful to keep a chart of what time I tested, what the the FC was, how much I added.

It will seem crazy at first, but it does really work! Just be patient, keep at it, and come back to the forum to update us so we can cheer you on and encourage you.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I'm going to test and dose about once per hour. I just bought 12 bottles of 12.5% chlorine and added 44oz of CYA. I brushed the pool and am waiting for my timer to go off to go test. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for your help!

Ok I'm putting basically 1 gallon in per hour and it's not even making a dent in the FC, CC levels. I guess just keep doing this? It's pretty sunny out there by the way, I'm sure that has something to do with it?

I also added 3 pounds of the recommended CYA in a sock by the inlet jet. My CYA was still basically 0 after an hour.

Oh and I guess pH is not reliable because I'm doing a SLAM..which is good because that's at 0 (now) too.

Did you add CYA twice (44oz and 48oz [3 lbs]) or did you just round up in your second post?

DanielP I only added CYA once. It's still in a tube sock by a jet about 2/3 dissolved.

Beens: FC went from 0 to 4.5 to 9 during the course of the day today. I need to get it to 12. I just added another bottle of liquid shock so I'm guessing that is going to do the trick. Around 9PM I'll go out and test the FC and then test it again tomorrow morning (before any direct sunlight) to see if we are still losing it to organic matter.

I also noticed the CYA is actually going up too. It was around 20 or just under tonight.

This is kinda fun, the wife helped me with testing tonight and she said so too. hah.

I am glad to see that it has started to click. It is a lot to deal with in a short amount of time.

My husband loves to watch me do the tests. I have shown him how to do it but............he would rather watch me do them!

Make sure to keep asking questions. Someone will be able to answer them.

Kim

Ok here's a question. On the TFP website it says that CC is:

"Combined Chlorine
The stuff that smells like chlorine and burns your eyes that you get rid of by SLAMing your pool."

But I noticed that on the test I ordered, CC is defined as "Combined Chloramines" and I have noticed that mine is actually going UP from 0, to .5 to 1.5 to 2.

Also, isn't TC just FC + CC? So is it a good thing or should I be trying to get rid of it somehow?

I'm not an expert, yet anyways. I think the reason your CC's are going up is because you actually have enough chlorine in your pool to be killing off whatever is in your water. The way to bring down the CCs is to keep SLAMMING. If you can keep testing and dosing every hour, that's great. Since your FC isn't holding well, you could try shooting for 15 instead of 12. so that it stays above 12 longer.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisa has it right, the CC is your chlorine getting to work in your pool and killing algae. There is nothing to do, just keep testing and adding FC. The CC will drop on its own as your pool clears up and gets under control. Once your FC starts to hold better you can drop back to testing 3-4 times per day.

Everything is looking good, you are making good progress! :goodjob:

Lisa has it right, the CC is your chlorine getting to work in your pool and killing algae. There is nothing to do, just keep testing and adding FC. The CC will drop on its own as your pool clears up and gets under control. Once your FC starts to hold better you can drop back to testing 3-4 times per day.

Everything is looking good, you are making good progress! :goodjob:

Thanks for confirming pooldv. In my limited experience and reading, this seemed to make sense to me. I'm feeling like such a good student :) - teehee, Thomk. I completed my first SLAM in April so I'm a rookie TFPer. If I can learn it, you can too.

Ok here are our total results from today:

View attachment 39984

See it looks like each time your FC is holding better as the day goes along and as your CYA gets dissolved. Personally, to save reagents, I would only test the FC on a regular basis, don't worry about the other tests. You know you're adding the CYA, assume it's the number you shot for. TC, PH, TA, CH, etc are irrelevant during a SLAM. You can test the CYA again in a week to make sure you hit your mark. We can work on your other numbers when the SLAM is complete. Focus on keeping your FC as close to 12 as possible as often as possible throughout the day. If you have a long period of time when you know you will be away from the pool, target an FC of 16-17. Don't try to shoot much higher, because you will just be wasting bleach. As your FC begins to hold better, you can extend the time between testing. During my SLAM, I was testing every hour if I was home, then it got to every two hours up until the finish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.