Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding muriatric acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding muriatric acid

I have used pool math to determine amount of acid to add to lower ph from 8.0 to 7.4. Any tricks to adding the acid? Do I need to add it and then let the pump run for a min time?

25x16 rectangular in ground pool with vinyl liner (14,000 gal). Sta-Rite sand filter. 1HP single speed Max-E-Pro pump. Pool owner since 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding muriatric acid

Hi Nate,
    the best way is to slowly pour the acid in front of a return with teh pump running. If you have several returns, then spread the love!
    After 30 minutes iwth pump running, test again to make sure you hit your target.

This goes for any liquid chemical you might add.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is a handy page about Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.

Also, with MA be sure to keep the bottle downwind from you, the fumes are pretty obnoxious.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I have found the best way to add MA is to make it a 2 person operation. One person pours slowly into the water flow of the return while the other person brushes it around so as to mix it quickly in to the water. By itself, MA is pretty caustic. Once well mixed/diluted in water it isn't as scary.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

So...after 30 minutes kids can swim?

25x16 rectangular in ground pool with vinyl liner (14,000 gal). Sta-Rite sand filter. 1HP single speed Max-E-Pro pump. Pool owner since 2013.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, thirty minutes is more than enough time to let them swim after adding acid.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Tricks? Sure.
    1) Don't wear good clothes
    2) Stand upwind
    3) Don't set the bottle down on concrete unless you've rinsed it by dipping it in the pool first. Sometimes small dribbles collect and they will leave a nice white ring where the jug was.
    4) Lean out as far as you can over the water in front of a return, pour the acid into the measure, then pour the acid slowly into the return stream. Rinse the measure in pool water. I find swishing water around and then pouring it right into the acid cloud helps disperse it. A couple quick rinses and you're done. Takes longer to type it than to do it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

And last but not least is to lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool in the area where you added the acid. Technically if you were really careful and slowly added it to a return flow, it probably get well dispersed, but if you missed the flow or added too quickly then some acid could drop below and since it is heavier than water until mixed, it could pool at the bottom. Brushing ensures that there is no pooling and also helps circulate water near pool surfaces (including walls) where technically water flow rates go to zero.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

When adding MA i scoop 5 gallon bucket water from pool and add right amount of MA to bucket then pour around perimeter of pool then use 24" wall brush to stir it around while pump is running.
    Rick T.
    12,000 gallon IG Kidney shape,gunite,white plaster w/25% blue quartz (Chlorine)
    Jandy LED Multi-color pool light, ,Pentair VS Pump,Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter,Polaris 280 Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed Stir, BBB Method, PoolMath, TFPC

10. Back To Top    #10

Everyone has their way of doing it..... I like to get in front of a return on my hands & knees and splash a little water on the pool deck. Then open the acid bottle and partially submerge it in the water. Tilt the bottle to pour the acid in at close to water level, but don't let the bottle get submerged.

I don't measure because it's an additional step for me to spill the stuff. Remove the bottle from the water and set it down in the puddle on the pool deck while you replace the cap. Try not to breathe the fumes.. Guess a little low on amount you need, then test again after it circulates well. You can always add more.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

i pour it into a measuring cup, then just spread it around near my stairs. it helps keep the metal stains off the stairs. i'm lucky, the fumes don't bother me. not the suggested method, but it works for me.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Even diluting Muriatic Acid in a 5 gallon bucket and distributing around the pool, I would still brush the pool where you've added it. Adding even just one cup of Muriatic Acid into 5 gallons of pool water still has the pH of that water be less than 1.0 (because full-strength Muriatic Acid has a pH of -1.0 and you dilute by less than 1/100th).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

I have 3 returns so I just poured a little in at each one. I then brushed the pool good. I did get a good whiff of the fumes on the first return...won't make that mistake again! Thanks for all the advice.

14. Back To Top    #14

Wear eye protection. I had a drop splatter in my eye and ended up in the ER. Thanks God no permanent damage.
    Built March 2015 13000 gallon free form exposed aggregate with sheer descent, Jandy 2HP VSP, Jandy 1400 SWG with Aqualink PDA and AquaCal electrical heater. Pentair Clean and Clear filter 150SF. TF100 test kit. Pentair Kreepy Krualy Great White.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    i pour it into a measuring cup, then just spread it around near my stairs. it helps keep the metal stains off the stairs. i'm lucky, the fumes don't bother me. not the suggested method, but it works for me.
    I'd go careful with that. I have a small spot on the floor of my fiberglass pool right where I pour the MA in (before I learned to brush it immediately and to be so very very cautious of it) that I attribute to MA. I also had a small incomplete hole in my cement deck appear after a couple drops landed on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain