Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evaluate my logic please.

1. Back To Top    #1

Evaluate my logic please.

Installed the pool Aug. 2010, and it has literally been trouble free. I installed "The Circulator" in the return near the steps in an attempt to keep all the little debris from accumulating in that dead spot. It worked as advertised, but now I have developed an obvious leak. Overnight the pool will lose over an inch of water. I see no bubbles in the pump glass, or wet spots around the equipment or pavers. I closed the ball valve to the supply side, stuck carrots in the return eyeballs (3), and filled the pool to it's normal level. There was no water loss overnight. I'm thinking the leak is obviously in the return side, but I don't know how to determine where it is since the 3 returns are all supplied by the same 2" pipe. I have a leak detection outfit coming out this Friday to take a look. I'm thinking the Circulator is the culprit, since I've had no issues until a week after it was installed. Any ideas/comments? Thanks
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Evaluate my logic please.

take the 1 carrot out of where "The Circulator" was, does it go down? process of elimination

BTW, love the carrot idea
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Taking one carrot out would only work if the returns are all piped separately from the pad.
    Approx 15,000 gallon gunite pool, fiberglass finish. Hayward SP2302VSP, compools solar controller, 6 4x10 "Sealed Air" brand solar panels, Clean and Clear 520 cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, as adding the Circulator is the only change you have made, remove it and go back to a standard return to see if the leak goes away. Reviews on Amazon talk about this product causing splashout when it is pointing straight up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I purchased the deflector with the Circulator, so there was no splash out. I removed it and installed the standard return when I noticed the water loss. Removing the Circulator made no difference in the water loss. Nickmpower is correct that since all 3 returns are supplied by the same pipe, removing any of the carrots would still result in a leak.
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.