1 Month in Question about Pool Test Results

Update from yesterday: I bumped my FC to 24 at 3pm and then bumped it up to 27 at 7pm. CC was at 0 and let the vsp run all night. This morning, before sunrise, I tested and FC is 26.5 and CC is 0.5. Ill continue to keep elevated FC close to the 28 recommendation for my CYA level. How long should I sustain this level of FC? Should I over index and get above 28?

RE: black spot on shelf, I went to scratch it with my nail and it disintegrated and i was unable to wipe it on a tissue. Waiting for a metal brush to scrub this reoccurring stain. Water looks clear. Thank you all for your advice.

Update from yesterday: I bumped my FC to 24 at 3pm and then bumped it up to 27 at 7pm. CC was at 0 and let the vsp run all night. This morning, before sunrise, I tested and FC is 26.5 and CC is 0.5. Ill continue to keep elevated FC close to the 28 recommendation for my CYA level. How long should I sustain this level of FC? Should I over index and get above 28?

RE: black spot on shelf, I went to scratch it with my nail and it disintegrated and i was unable to wipe it on a tissue. Waiting for a metal brush to scrub this reoccurring stain. Water looks clear. Thank you all for your advice.
Just go to SLAM level for your CYA. If that is 28ppm then that is fine. The key is to sustain that level by testing every 4 hrs and adding as needed. I would continue another couple of days and meet the 3 criteria in the SLAM procedure. SLAM Process

Reactions: Breadbrian
Another update: This morning i tested free chlorine and it was at 22. I added bleach per the pool math page recommendation from SLAM level of 28. At 3:30pm FC level was at 17.5. Feels like a sharp drop does this sound right? Ive been testing twice a day and adjusting as needed. The only thing i can think of is that we had heavy rain fall in soCal the past couple days and today is the first sunny day. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Another update: This morning i tested free chlorine and it was at 22. I added bleach per the pool math page recommendation from SLAM level of 28. At 3:30pm FC level was at 17.5. Feels like a sharp drop does this sound right? Ive been testing twice a day and adjusting as needed. The only thing i can think of is that we had heavy rain fall in soCal the past couple days and today is the first sunny day. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Yes, that is normal. The sun will use chlorine (up to 3-5ppm/day on sunny days). Stick with the plan. Test and replace FC as often as you can. Every 1-2 hours is optimal, particularly in the beginning.

Reactions: Breadbrian
Yes, that is normal. The sun will use chlorine (up to 3-5ppm/day on sunny days). Stick with the plan. Test and replace FC as often as you can. Every 1-2 hours is optimal, particularly in the beginning.
Good to know thanks @PoolStored. On average how long is the SLAM process? Im about 7 days in. I finally received my wire brush 2 days ago and have been hitting the spot that continues to get algae.

Good to know thanks @PoolStored. On average how long is the SLAM process? Im about 7 days in. I finally received my wire brush 2 days ago and have been hitting the spot that continues to get algae.
Depends on a lot of factors. How often are you testing and adding LC? Do you have a ladder? Did you scrub behind lights, in the skimmer? Did you remove and check weir doors?

Reactions: HermanTX
So Ive been testing regularly and no loss of chlorine last night. The water is clear and CC is 0. However this one area of algae keeps popping up. Last night we had some winds. I observed the water flow on my baja shelf and noticed it creates a swirl pattern where dirt collects and thats where the algae forms. I was only able to see the dirt collecting bc of the leaves and dirt that was blown into the pool. Is it time for me to rub a trichlor puck in this area? Is the jet flow the cause of algae growth?

Attachments

• IMG_7337.jpg
    IMG_7337.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 9
Are you sure its algae? What is your FC level. You indicate CC is 0. And you did follow the process for Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? Was there any drop in FC or was it also zero change overnight?

Does it brush away easily because you mention dirt forms there. Algae is not created by swirling water but it does grow if the FC levels are too low based on your CYA level.
Do you use Pool Math app? Can you link your logs to your profile? It is on the settings page of the PoolMath on the phone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you sure its algae? What is your FC level. You indicate CC is 0. And you did follow the process for Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? Was there any drop in FC or was it also zero change overnight?

Does it brush away easily because you mention dirt forms there. Algae is not created by swirling water but it does grow if the FC levels are too low based on your CYA level.
Do you use Pool Math app? Can you link your logs to your profile? It is on the settings page of the PoolMath on the phone.
It does brush away easily but looks more slimy than dirt. Its a daily occurence that needs to be sweeped.

Oof... OCLT last nite was a drop of 5 FC. Could this be due to the winds and organic matter blown into the pool? @HermanTX my apologies for wasting your time. Pretty bummed and discouraged that im not getting this right. PoolMath Logs
With a drop of 5ppm on FC on the OCLT, then you have some organic matter growing. I was looking at the PM logs and it appears you added LC to get to 24ppm 4 days ago and the FC has been declining until you added more LC today.
The recommendation is to test every 3-4 hours and keep adding FC to maintain your SLAM level of 24 (for 60 CYA). If you can hold that for several days, you will see faster improvement.
Don't be hard on yourself, however it does take some patience and consistency. If you see improvement in 2-3 days, then do another OCLT.

I havent been as diligent logging in the chemical additions but everytime ive seen a drop ive used the recommended amount from the pool math app. From here on out ill check more frequently. Thanks for the encouragement Herman. Genuinely appreciate your help. Do you recommend i clean my filter and/or check on any other measurements? Ive only been focussed on FC, CC and CYA.

I havent been as diligent logging in the chemical additions but everytime ive seen a drop ive used the recommended amount from the pool math app. From here on out ill check more frequently. Thanks for the encouragement Herman. Genuinely appreciate your help. Do you recommend i clean my filter and/or check on any other measurements? Ive only been focussed on FC, CC and CYA.
There is someplace you are not cleaning. Please post pictures of the pool so we can see the whole thing. Include light pictures.

Did you remove the ladder and scrub inside? Did you REMOVE the lights and scrub behind? Did you remove and check the weir doors and the foam in the doors? Have you been scrubbing the pool itself?

The only thing to worry about is FC. When you pass OCLT, then do CC test on that sample.

Last edited:
Do you recommend i clean my filter and/or check on any other measurements? Ive only been focussed on FC, CC and CYA.
It does help if you can clean the filter as it removes the captured dead algae. Your CYA should not change unless you exchanged water. Focus on FC levels and perform both FC and CC testing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.