1 HP timer

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I've been using an intermatic plug in timer but that seems to die every year where the timer just doesn't turn on and I have to manually turn it on (the red pin does turn it off though). Anyway, I don't see very many 1HP plug in timers available. Does anyone have a reliable timer they use? Thanks

You don't specify timer capacity by HP. It is the amperage load that the device pulls that the timer needs to handle.

What specific model Intermatic timer have you used? Provide a link to it.

What specific pump do you have?

Post a pic of the motor data plate.

Many plug in timers are built to control light bulbs and cannot handle the inductive load from a motor.

The specs on the timer page say:

Designed for controlling outdoor decorations and holiday lighting

The motor data plate gives the amp draw of your motor.

Last edited:
You don't specify timer capacity by HP. It is the amperage load that the device pulls that the timer needs to handle.
You actually can, or should. Most motors have an inrush current that is higher than their running current. Buried in the specs of a timer will be alternative ratings for motor HP and tungsten lighting wattage, since both draw inrush current. For instance Intermatic sells a plug in mechanical timer that is rated for 15A and 1HP and a plug in digital timer that is rated for 15A but not 1HP.

I use the same timer. I have killed one once by turning the dial too fast on and off, sparks came out and the timer motor stopped working.

Avoiding doing that again by always switching on/off slowly, and storing it inside in winter, mine is on its third year now.

But I know the struggle, there aren't a lot of alternatives out there for 1HP plug ins.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.