May 12, 2023
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi all,

I have a couple of sunbrella holders (sleeves) in our pool, which is built in the concrete. The model is Aquastar US101, and the inner diameter of the sleeve is 1 5/8. Now, most umbrellas the pole is 1.5", which I am afraid will be very wobbly and perhaps damage the sleeve (which is made of plastic). So in stead of being creative with some duct tape, as other have suggested, to increase the diameter, to make a snug fit, I was wondering if you know where to buy an umbrella with a 1 5/8 pole? And yes I have used Google very much, and all poles are 1.5". My alternative is to buy a carbon or glass fiber pole with OD of 1 5/8 and make is myself, since I would not like a metal product in the pool water. The problem then is the "upper part" of the umbrella, which will still be 1.5".

Thoughts and suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks.

Finding a 1-5/8" umbrella pole will be next to impossible, I'm afraid. You may instead try searching for "umbrella sleeve stabilizer bushing". Something like the below.

Or if you have access to a 3D printer you could print your own.

--Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

The sleeves might be a good idea! Although I would like one that is long enough to support the full length of the umbrella holder.

Actually, I just found out by searching, that a 1 1/4 SCH 40 PVC pipe has an OD of 1 5/8. Whether its strong enough to hold an umbrella I dont know, but it gives me something cheap to play with.. Maybe a SCH 80 is stronger?

Thanks Jeff!

The sleeves might be a good idea! Although I would like one that is long enough to support the full length of the umbrella holder.

Actually, I just found out by searching, that a 1 1/4 SCH 40 PVC pipe has an OD of 1 5/8. Whether its strong enough to hold an umbrella I dont know, but it gives me something cheap to play with.. Maybe a SCH 80 is stronger?
1-1/4" pipe is 1.660" OD, so slightly larger than 1-5/8"(1.625").

Be careful as even that slight difference might mean that the pipe gets stuck in the umbrella sleeve.

Schedule 80 is stronger but it will have a thicker wall, so the ID will be less. Not sure what your plans are with the PVC so not certain if the ID will matter.

I have used my 1-1/2" umbrella in my sun deck sleeve for the past 3 years with no ill effects, FYI. I completely understand that it bugs you though, as it does me as well. That was one bother I had to let go. Too many others that are more serious!

--Jeff

Reactions: newdude
1-1/4" pipe is 1.660" OD, so slightly larger than 1-5/8"(1.625").

Be careful as even that slight difference might mean that the pipe gets stuck in the umbrella sleeve.

Schedule 80 is stronger but it will have a thicker wall, so the ID will be less. Not sure what your plans are with the PVC so not certain if the ID will matter.

I have used my 1-1/2" umbrella in my sun deck sleeve for the past 3 years with no ill effects, FYI. I completely understand that it bugs you though, as it does me as well. That was one bother I had to let go. Too many others that are more serious!

--Jeff
Thanks for the info. Heat gun might be able to shrink the PVC slightly so it fits.

The umbrellas we have are in two parts; the lower part is just a pipe (1.5"); the upper part is where the umbrella is attached. I guess most umbrellas are like that. Are you using an umbrella with a metal rod? I was warned about using anything metal, since the aluminium ones are not 100% Aluminium, and might rust. That is why I would like to have some plastic, glass fiber, or carbon...

Finding a 1-5/8" umbrella pole will be next to impossible, I'm afraid. You may instead try searching for "umbrella sleeve stabilizer bushing". Something like the below.

Or if you have access to a 3D printer you could print your own.

--Jeff
I had those from the listing, they work good but didnt last long. I ended up printing my own and expect them to last maybe a season....but theyre cheap enough to re-print when they fail

Attachments

• 20230622_214456.jpg
    20230622_214456.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230701_142258.jpg
    20230701_142258.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: newdude
I had those from the listing, they work good but didnt last long. I ended up printing my own and expect them to last maybe a season....but theyre cheap enough to re-print when they fail
Wow, that looks great.

I am not very familiar with 3D printing. Is there a file with dimensions, you are willing to share, or how does that work? So I don't have to measure it myself with the risk of not measuring correct :rolleyes:.

Wow, that looks great.

I am not very familiar with 3D printing. Is there a file with dimensions, you are willing to share, or how does that work? So I don't have to measure it myself with the risk of not measuring correct :rolleyes:.
I have the file that you would slice with 3d printing software to print on the machine. The mid part of the sleeve was just a bit too thick...i sanded down just a smidge to fit. Took all of 1 minute to sand

Thanks for the info. Heat gun might be able to shrink the PVC slightly so it fits.

The umbrellas we have are in two parts; the lower part is just a pipe (1.5"); the upper part is where the umbrella is attached. I guess most umbrellas are like that. Are you using an umbrella with a metal rod? I was warned about using anything metal, since the aluminium ones are not 100% Aluminium, and might rust. That is why I would like to have some plastic, glass fiber, or carbon...
Mine is just an aluminum pole that has been powdercoated. I've had a little bit of corrosion on the aluminum where the powdercoat has flaked off, but other than that, everything is fine.

I've heard people caution about using wooden/bamboo umbrella poles, as they will swell with the moisture and get stuck in the holder.

Edit... The caution I had was to avoid anything but aluminum poles.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.