0 degrees coming to Dallas

BillB

Aug 25, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Single digit to 0 degrees will be here in the next couple of days. Most of the things I have read say to just keep the pump running and that will prevent freezing. They usually add that "moving water won't freeze". That sounds good, but I know that rivers and waterfalls freeze. What should I do? Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: markayash
Just keep things running, moving water won’t freeze. 😐

There’s several good bits of info in this thread that should help you out. The one item I’d toss out however is that you please take a few minutes and learn your equipment while things are warm’ish outside. There is a huge potential for power outages in your area and there’s the possibility you’ll need to drain equipment in a pinch. Don’t wait until then to learn where drain plugs are as you’ll be doing so in 5° weather, and it’s going to be a bad experience.

Reactions: markayash
Just keep things running, moving water won’t freeze. 😐

There’s several good bits of info in this thread that should help you out. The one item I’d toss out however is that you please take a few minutes and learn your equipment while things are warm’ish outside. There is a huge potential for power outages in your area and there’s the possibility you’ll need to drain equipment in a pinch. Don’t wait until then to learn where drain plugs are as you’ll be doing so in 5° weather, and it’s going to be a bad experience.
Thanks for the reply. I know how to drain it if I have to.

Reactions: Newdude
If you are going to drain the filter/pump, i'd also include draining the pipes as well (better safe than sorry). I'm not sure how long the freezing temps will last in your area, but you def don't want to deal with burst pipes.

You can cover it for peace of mind, I have mine covered with a tarp that is currently about a foot under snow, which reminds me i should probably dig it out today again! All that to say, your equipment should be fine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.