Zodiac MX8 Pool Cleaner. Wheels on only 1 side are turning

poolschpool

Jun 12, 2019
Fremont, CA
Hello,
I have a Zodiac MX8 pool cleaner which was running fine till a few weeks ago. A few days ago the wheels on one side of the cleaner stopped turning and the pool cleaner stopped running completely. When I pick up the pool cleaner both the paddles below the pool cleaner turn vigorously. I tried replacing both the tracks but that did not help either.

When I remove both the tracks the side drive shafts turn continuosly.

Then I removed the track on the left side and noticed that wheels on both the sides turn normally. But when I put in the track on the right side then pool cleaner stops moving. I am not sure why adding the track on the right side will cause it to stop turning. Any helps on debugging this further would be useful as well.

How old is it?

There's a rebuild kit available, but for me it's only ever been the tracks getting stretched, then derailing and being stuck. I'm also wondering about something stuck in the gears.

How old is it?

There's a rebuild kit available, but for me it's only ever been the tracks getting stretched, then derailing and being stuck. I'm also wondering about something stuck in the gears.
Here is a reply from before 2014 by Jguy.
Similar story here but with different conclusion. After working perfectly for most of last season I had a similar issue with my MX8. Zodiac support sent me a new A-side control. That seemed to help for a few days but before long the MX8 ws running in circles again. Over the winter I took the old A-side control apart and found no sign of wear or damage. Checked out everything including treads but it would still periodically run in circles due to either A or B side not driving. What I discovered was that the bevel gears on the drive shaft were not making reliable contact with the gears in the A and B controls. The bevel gears mount on a brass shaft that runs through the paddle that driven by water suction. The solution was to remove the bevel gear (simple size 4 screw) from the drive shaft and place two washers behind the gear. With that modification my MX8 has run perfectly all summer and I now have a spare A-side control.

Here is a reply from before 2014 by Jguy.
Similar story here but with different conclusion. After working perfectly for most of last season I had a similar issue with my MX8. Zodiac support sent me a new A-side control. That seemed to help for a few days but before long the MX8 ws running in circles again. Over the winter I took the old A-side control apart and found no sign of wear or damage. Checked out everything including treads but it would still periodically run in circles due to either A or B side not driving. What I discovered was that the bevel gears on the drive shaft were not making reliable contact with the gears in the A and B controls. The bevel gears mount on a brass shaft that runs through the paddle that driven by water suction. The solution was to remove the bevel gear (simple size 4 screw) from the drive shaft and place two washers behind the gear. With that modification my MX8 has run perfectly all summer and I now have a spare A-side control.
It would help me. If you might post a picture of where to place the two washers. Thanks for your posts about this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.