Zero chlorine levels, crystal clear pool .. ??

bballa21

Mar 29, 2020
Charlotte, NC
My pool is crystal clear with ZERO chlorine. I removed the Nature2 cartridge I installed last April, which is meant to keep chlorine levels low, so I'm wondering if that it is still doing it's thing maybe with the actual mineral cartridge removed?
(I left the cartridge holder thing for now because I am replacing it with a Circupool RJ-60 salt water generator soon)

I just tested my pool with the following numbers:
0 FC
7.2 PH
100 TA
250 CH
BETWEEN 55-65 CYA - (TESTED A FEW DAYS AGO - HARD TO TELL WHAT IS CONSIDERED "UNTIL BLACK DOT JUST ABOUT DISAPPEARS" MEANS)

Welcome to the forum!
I suspect cold water is helping. The metals that are in the water from the Nature2 may be keeping algae at bay, for now.
Raise your FC based on your CYA of 70 PPM (round up) using the FC/CYA Levels for non-SWCG pool. Once you get your SWCG installed and operating, use the SWCG chart.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

You need to get some chlorine into that water now. Like today. Even within the next few hours if you can. The cold water and metals from the Nature2 may be helping to keep the algae at bay, but they are fighting a losing battle. As the water warms up and the pool gets more sun algae absolutely will take hold and you will very soon have a green pool which will require much more chlorine and time to fix than if you go out and get some chlorine in the pool now.

You don’t have a magic pool that needs no chlorine, you have been lucky so far, but that luck will run out sooner rather than later.

Welcome to the forum!
I suspect cold water is helping. The metals that are in the water from the Nature2 may be keeping algae at bay, for now.
Raise your FC based on your CYA of 70 PPM (round up) using the FC/CYA Levels for non-SWCG pool. Once you get your SWCG installed and operating, use the SWCG chart.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Sorry I forgot to mention that Ive had 3 - 3" chlorine pucks in EACH of the 2 skimmers , 6 total, because I couldn't get the chlorine up and the pool was clear but had a hue of slight green, I saw some rise for a couple days, maybe .6-1.0 FC, but now it's at zero, and pool is crystal clear.. ?? Very strange

Sorry I forgot to mention that Ive had 3 - 3" chlorine pucks in EACH of the 2 skimmers , 6 total, because I couldn't get the chlorine up and the pool was clear but had a hue of slight green, I saw some rise for a couple days, maybe .6-1.0 FC, but now it's at zero, and pool is crystal clear.. ?? Very strange
I think you are on the verge of an algae bloom. I recommend using liquid chlorine to get your FC up as quickly as possible. Use the CYA chart linked above by Marty to determine how much FC you need. I would target the high end since you can already see green hue. Maybe even start a slam.

I think you are on the verge of an algae bloom. I recommend using liquid chlorine to get your FC up as quickly as possible. Use the CYA chart linked above by Marty to determine how much FC you need. I would target the high end since you can already see green hue. Maybe even start a slam.
No it WAS a clear greenish when FC was 1.0 and NOW its crystal clear with 0 FC, very weird

Reactions: Shirker
Clear green is either iron or copper. With your use of minerals, my vote is copper. Unless your fill water has iron in it.

Clear green is either iron or copper. With your use of minerals, my vote is copper. Unless your fill water has iron in it.
I haven't added any water since beginning of Winter, so it shouldn't Iron.
If I removed the Nature2 mineral cartridge about a week ago, do you suggest I test to find out how much metal is still in the pool, or should I just begin the liquid chlorine/bleach and get that FC number up to around 8-10? (As per the CYA/chlorine chart)

It might be worth a trip to a pool store for a test. Just do not buy anything. Let us know what the copper and iron results are.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright I just went to Leslie's and these are the readings... no metals, and pool absolutely picture perfect this morning... ??
FC .13
TC .32
PH 7.5
TA 81
CH 228
CYA 60
IRON .1
COPPER .2
PHOSPHATE 0
TDS 500

Attachments

• 20200403_104805.jpg
    20200403_104805.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 13
That copper level is very near what it takes to start staining the pool surface and turning blonde hair green. 0.3 ppm is the level that starts to occur. I would suggest you do a very significant water exchange to get rid of some of the copper.

Use your own test kit for the water chemistry data.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.