Zeosand or ecosmart

You shouldn't have to use sand-aid in your filter even with plain ole filter sand. Is there a problem you having to correct?

Take a look at Dave's (Duraleigh) post about how clear his water is and he just uses regular sand, nothing added. Mine's that clear too I just haven't posted a pic of it.

I am having real trouble. I added DE to my sand this morning before I vacuumed the pool. AFter getting half way done, my pressure had gone up from 12psi to 23psi and I had lost a lot of sucking pressure. The basket in front of the superpump had a huge air pocket on top. It seems the more pressure I have, the more air that gets pulled in.
Regardless, I backwashed and rinsed, then added more sand aid and vacummed the rest of the pool.
I heard that you can rinse without backwashing a few times with DE and that will allow you to go a bit longer. I did that this afternoon and pressure dropped from 20psi to 15psi.
I got home tonight and pressure was back up to 20psi so I tried rinsing only and when I went back to filtering, I saw a huge cloud of Crud shooting into my pool.
My sand will not filter out this fine, powdery stuff that I keep finding on the bottom of my pool. Only DE added to the sand seems to trap it.
After adding DE, it is not more than 12 hours later that I have to backwash.
I have also found that there is always a small bit of air coming into the filter at the basket just before the super pump, and I always see tiny air bubbles shooting into the pool through my one inlet.

If your filter pressure is rising that fast it means it's catching something and clogging the filter. Can you post a full set of test results and how you got them? I'm thinking there's something going on in there.

Have you removed the pump basket lid and cleaned and lubed the sealing surfaces & o-ring good? That's a common place for air leaks into the suction of the pump.

Bama Rambler said:
If your filter pressure is rising that fast it means it's catching something and clogging the filter. Can you post a full set of test results and how you got them? I'm thinking there's something going on in there.

Have you removed the pump basket lid and cleaned and lubed the sealing surfaces & o-ring good? That's a common place for air leaks into the suction of the pump.
sorry to thread-jack, but what do you recommend for cleaning and lubing the sealing surfaces of the basket lid and o-ring?

I'm using Zeosand. Switched from plain ol' sand last year when I replaced my filter.

When it works, it works great - water is more sparkly clear than it ever was with sand.

When it doesn't work - well, this year I couldn't get my water really clear without adding a "filter aid." I finally added Fiber Clear about 3 times, used a little POP, and as clear as a bell.

YMMV....

Your problems with ZeoSand the second year was probably caused by channeling of the filter media. If you shut your system down in the winter it can dry up so when you start filtering in the spring the water will take the path of least resistance. I fixed this by simply adding water to my filter and making sure the Zeosand was all wet and broken up before I started filtering this season. I called the manufacturer and they gave me this advice.

Good Luck!

Jumping into this thread late but just to emphasize that the majority of filter problems people have are not filter problems at all but water quality problems.

If your water is balanced and algae free, the filter can do it's job in virtually every case. It's when you ask it to filter out excessive dirt and grime (flooded pool) or, ESPECIALLY, if you have algae in your pool that the filter quickly gets plugged up as it gets beyond it's capacity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.