Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi, new construction here and in planning stage of 18x36 vinyl steel wall pool. We would like to go with salt but am concerned about corrosion. Should I be concerned? Does anyone have experience or recommendations on the G 235 steel panels vs ZAM which claim to be most corrosion resistant? Ty!!

If the liner is installed properly (and stays intact with no leaks/rips/pinholes) the walls will never touch the pool water. Even of they did, the salt content isn't much different than a traditional liquid chlorine pool. The normal breakdown of liquid chlorine leaves salt and over time the pool can become 2/3 as strong as a 'salt' pool, which is still only 10% the salt content of seawater. If the panels are prone to rust they will rust equally regardless of the water type, and cheaply made materials do not like moisture of any kind. It can come from a leaky skimmer/return, or from the wet dirt/gravel on the outside of the wall after a good rain.

Reactions: mmesqc1578
My opinion is its not much difference. I've never priced the coated panels but I cant see them being much improvement. If your in a wet area amd concerned a polymer panel will be much better in the long run. Even in poor soils 25 to 30 yrs lifespan is normal and longer. They all have a zinc galv coating but metal in the ground is going to corrode regardless. The framing amd C channel/cap construction is most important to me and I always install full bracing with deck support for added structure and tie back

Reactions: mmesqc1578
My opinion is its not much difference. I've never priced the coated panels but I cant see them being much improvement. If your in a wet area amd concerned a polymer panel will be much better in the long run. Even in poor soils 25 to 30 yrs lifespan is normal and longer. They all have a zinc galv coating but metal in the ground is going to corrode regardless. The framing amd C channel/cap construction is most important to me and I always install full bracing with deck support for added structure and tie back
Thank you! We are not in a wet area. Do you have concerns about using salt water for a steel wall vinyl lined inground?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.