Yet another Vacation question...

Mar 3, 2012
Getting ready to head out for 9 days of vacation and trying to determine best way to handle pool. Pool is 25,000 gallon inground vinyl with sand filter, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains and SWG. Pool numbers are in check according to TPF recommended levels and water is pristine. No big trees or leaf problems to worry about. The way I see it, I have a couple of options:

1. Raise water level & FC level, lower normal SWG Chlorine output and let pump run 24 hrs while away
2. Raise pool to shock level, throw a couple of pucks in a floater (CYA currently at 70 for SWG) and leave pump off
3. Buy a timer and install prior to leaving and leave everything the way I normally operate the pool (pump run time ~12 hrs)

I am leaning towards option 1 or possibly 3, but would love some expert feedback.

I'd go for option 3 as being easiest in the long-run. The one thing to watch for is water loss from evaporation while you are gone. You may need to overfill the pool to prevent issues if no one will be checking it.

Go Cats!

With "real" equipment, I would think just running everything as normal. My personal problem with that would be I have Intex stuff. If power goes down for any reason, the SWG is fine and would turn back on but the filter/pump's inline GFI circuit trips as soon as power goes out at the plug. Found that out after sweating all day in the non-ventilated garage running wire for a GFI outlet out on the porch and spending money on a timer only to have the inline GFI trip every time the timer shut down.

Thanks for the quick replies, I am leaning towards installing a timer. Good point regarding evaporation, I had planned on overfilling but now wonder if I should close valves on skimmers and just pull from the bottom main drains? This would eliminate potential low water problems.

If you only draw from the bottom drain, you not be skimming anything off the surface and it will all sink to the floor with enough time; but that may not be an issue for you. Do you have a diverter vale in your skimmer to control the suction in case your water level goes too low?

How much CL do you normally add each day?

I have a SWG that i normally run at 40% for 12-14 hrs. I have added a few jugs of bleach to boost the FC over the past couple of weeks due to extremely high temps and heavy swimmer load.

Don't have a diverter valve but sound a like a good add-on. Any suggestions for installing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.