Yet another new pool owner thread. (Apologies)

Apr 28, 2020
Northern Nevada
Hello TFP.
So, I recently found this great site. Unfortunately I found it after having my pool opened by a local company. I also had ordered a $20 test kit from Amazon. Luckily I was able to cancel the order and have since ordered the TF100, which should arrive next week sometime.

I bought my current house in September, and had the pool closed in late October, after plenty of leaves had fallen in.

Currently the pool is cloudy, blue...but cloudy. As it was when we bought the house. As it was in the realtor photos from months before we bought it. I'm not sure it's ever been truly clear.
Currently you stop being able to see things about 3 feet down.

I was talking to the pool guy as he was on the last of the 3 day opening, who told me he was currently adding clarifyer. And if in 24 hours it wasn't clear to just add more. Did that a few days ago. Still not clear. Now realizing I shouldn't have added clarifyer. Oops.

So question(s) time.
Anything I should be doing currently as I await the arrival of my test kit?
I bought the Walmart 10% chlorine. (2 Gal on hand)
Muriatic Acid (2 gal on hand)
A bag of stabilizer pods
A large bag of baking soda

I've read through the pool school stuff but figure I'm stuck in limbo until I can test.
Im bummed I paid a good amount of money only to end up with cloudy water.
Solar cover has been ordered, eta is unknown.

Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• 20200501_184023.jpg
    20200501_184023.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Can you give us a bit more detail in the signature? See ours for examples.
I would suggest you add 3ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each evening with the pump running. A gallon of 10% will be just right.
You may want to get at least 10 gallons more of the 10% liquid chlorine.
The clarifier may have messed up your filters. Once you give us more details, we can advise on that.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks. I tried looking up the filter and that model number does not relate to anything. What size is it?
The pump I think is a 1 hp Whisperflo, that is better to put in than the model numbers. Less that we have to look up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.