Yellow ring round pool and brown marks on steps

02katlou

Aug 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Good morning,

I am a new pool owner. I have a bright yellow ring round my pool (tried eraser, brushing, soap water and will not lift) and brown stains on the steps (I have tried a vitamin c on this and the stain did not lift).
I have attached pictures. Could you please advise on what can be bought to fix this!

Look forward to your reply.
Many thanks,

Attachments

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Is this a vinyl, fiberglass or plaster pool? When you said you tried an eraser- do you mean a "Magic Eraser" ?

Can you tell me what chemicals you use in the pool? That really is a bright yellow ring.....baffling.

Maddie

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Did you crush SEVERAL vitamin c into powder in a sock and hold it against a section of the ring for 20 seconds?

It does look like trace iron. But maybe it's not.

02katlou

Aug 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Is this a vinyl, fiberglass or plaster pool? When you said you tried an eraser- do you mean a "Magic Eraser" ?

Can you tell me what chemicals you use in the pool? That really is a bright yellow ring.....baffling.

Maddie
It is a fibreglass pool, the eraser I used was a magic eraser. I have only been putting chlorine in to the pool the ph is at the correct level.

02katlou

Aug 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi,

yes I have tried a crushed vitamin c tablet on both stain and it has not done anything.

The water is filled up from a well.
I beleive the yellow stain is from suncream and body oils but I am not completely sure.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
I beleive the yellow stain is from suncream and body oils but I am not completely sure.
If so, over time chlorine should help bleach that line. It almost looks like fake tan or dye.... anyone using those products who swim? I'd up your chlorine level a few points for a while and see if that helps along with scrubbing.