Yellow algae keeps coming back

ecdalton20

Aug 23, 2022
Las Vegas NV
Hello all - New user, novice pool maintainer, could use some advice in getting rid of yellow algae once and for all. I live in Las Vegas, NV. Should be noted we've had a lot of storms lately but I am vigilant about removing organic debris out of the pool. Is not a salt system and I use chlorine tabs (which I have recently learned can negatively affect CYA levels). Here are my current water readings:
FC- 3.5
CC- .5
Hardness - 375
Alkalinity - 165
pH - 8.3
The above was done using a home kit, below is the printout from Leslie's using the same sample

IMG_6085.jpeg
Thank you for any and all advice!!!

One thing for sure, the Vegas valley made plenty of news with this year's monsoons. As for your water, well, it needs help that's for sure. But more than anything you should know we at TFP place very little faith in free store testing, nor should you. We advise all pool owners to test their own water with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Nothing more frustrating than to add a chemical based on a printout only to find out it was wooing. :brickwall: A Link to the TF-100 is in my signature.

If your CYA is indeed that high (may be more than that) you'll need to exchange some water. I'm from Vegas originally so I understand how precious water is right now after seeing Lake Mead water levels fall, but that's the only way to lower CYA - exchange some water. You also don't want to expose the plaster too long to the Vegas summer sun, so timing is everything on that one.

But my recommendations for now would be:
1 - Order one of those kits and post your own test results.
2 - Exchange the proper amount of water needed to lower the CYA to at least 70 or slightly below.
3 - Update your signature (see mine as an example)
4 - Bookmark and read our Pool Care Basics page. It has everything.

If you have questions, just ask. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

To address your original question, with a proper test kit we'll show you just how to test the water to confirm if you have an algae problem. If you do, we have a SLAM Process made just for it. But it all starts wit the right test kit.

Welcome to the forum.
We do not know, as you need a proper test kit to get reliable test data.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day to the pool.
Once you get your kit, run a full set of test results and post them here.

Thank you for the advice. I have my eyes on a TF Pro test kit, however, as you probably know that kit comes with or without salt system capability. I plan on getting a salt system very soon. My question is can I use the TF Pro Salt on my non salt pool? I would hate to buy a non-salt kit only to need to buy a salt kit upon upgrading my system. Thank you.

The test kit is the same for all parameters except the salt kit has a salinity test with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.