Year 2 pool owner in Concord CA, new to TFP

JamesIsSwimming

May 2, 2022
Concord, CA
Hi all,

Last year, my wife and I bought and put up an Intex 15' round, 48" high pool and thought we were just going to place it on our astroturf and be good to go. We thought it would be simple... boy, we learned the hard way a lot about all of the wrong ways to do this, starting with realizing that we needed to have a specialized 5' high safety fence surrounding the pool to be legal in our city/state, which cost more to install than the pool price itself. After shelling that out, we dealt with an unexpected slope, finicky water chemistry, and improperly winterizing the thing.

This year, I am determined to do it right, and this website has been invaluable already. I am removing a 16' square section of my astroturf to properly slope the ground, I have a sand filter system sitting in the garage, and I bought a skimmer and the testing kit recommended in Pool School. If I have the time, I am going to build some small stairs so my mother-in-law isn't terrified to climb the ladder when she comes to visit.

I am looking forward to reading more, learning, and hopefully being able to share any hard-earned wisdom along the way.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Lots of folks here to help.