Wrong stamp used on deck

poolbrain

Feb 20, 2019
Flower Mound, TX
Our pool builder did the wrong stamp on our deck. They told us taking it out and redoing it was not an option. They offered to acid wash it, grind it down, and pour a thin polymer overlay on top with the correct stamp or give us back some money. Does anyone have experience with these overlays and the quality? Thanks in advance.

This is the rock salt stamp they did that we didn’t want with no color added. The second picture is the overlay with the rough stamp that we wanted. The overlay has to have a color they said because it’s a synthetic. The concrete guy says the maintenance is the same (no sealing needed) and it will last as long as it would have without the overlay.

Attachments

• BA84B5DC-3AF6-4913-B727-BAEA72F3AE2D.jpeg
    BA84B5DC-3AF6-4913-B727-BAEA72F3AE2D.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 0A06E4F2-F12F-4A7D-AB32-38B6488163C6.jpeg
    0A06E4F2-F12F-4A7D-AB32-38B6488163C6.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 165
Hiya Poolbrain, welcome to TFP although I'm sorry its under a negative circumstance.

Can you attach a picture of the deck? Is it unattractive? Personally I'd rather live with it than go messing around with acid, grinding and overlays. Ask for some cash back which I'm sure the PB would prefer to give you than start changing that deck over. Can you live with it for cash back??

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: poolbrain
That is very unfortunate... The 'rock' stamp looks like they got a hale storm just after the pour. It also looks like a sand collector, I would not be happy with it. Hopefully someone with knowledge of the overlay will chime in. It sounds like it might be better than a concrete surface but I would do a lot of homework on it. Ask your contractor for some references that were done several years ago you can look at and get the customers opinion. You do not want him doing it if he has done done many before this.

If you do find a know reason why this might not be as good as the decking you paid for then I would insist on a full removal and re-pour. Mistakes happen but it is "His" responsibility to make things right. You should not end up with inferior product or one you are not happy with because of his error. I think judge Judy would rule on your side.. :)

Find out what the name of the overlay goes by that he uses. That will give us a better idea as there a many out there.

The "stamp" they did is not a stamp. This is where they throw rock salt down in to the concrete to make those holes. They let is sit for awhile then come back and brush it a out leaving those dirt collectors.

I would NOT let them grind it down. You will be losing a LOT of concrete and I am betting it may not end up even. THEN there is the dust and mess from that. IF they do it insist on them covering your house with plastic and tape.

They can jack hammer that out and repour. Of course the do not want to as that is a LOT of work aka $$$$

“They told us taking it out and redoing it was not an option.”
It’s always an option. He just doesn’t want to eat the cost. But he is likely obligated to deliver what’s in the contract.

The polymer looks nice enough. Will he provide a guarantee in writing that it will perform without issue? And fix it if it does? What about providing referrals for other customers that have used it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is very unfortunate... The 'rock' stamp looks like they got a hale storm just after the pour. It also looks like a sand collector, I would not be happy with it. Hopefully someone with knowledge of the overlay will chime in. It sounds like it might be better than a concrete surface but I would do a lot of homework on it. Ask your contractor for some references that were done several years ago you can look at and get the customers opinion. You do not want him doing it if he has done done many before this.

If you do find a know reason why this might not be as good as the decking you paid for then I would insist on a full removal and re-pour. Mistakes happen but it is "His" responsibility to make things right. You should not end up with inferior product or one you are not happy with because of his error. I think judge Judy would rule on your side.. :)

Great idea! Not sure why we didn’t think to ask this before. We just emailed to ask for references. Thank you!

Find out what the name of the overlay goes by that he uses. That will give us a better idea as there a many out there.

The "stamp" they did is not a stamp. This is where they throw rock salt down in to the concrete to make those holes. They let is sit for awhile then come back and brush it a out leaving those dirt collectors.

I would NOT let them grind it down. You will be losing a LOT of concrete and I am betting it may not end up even. THEN there is the dust and mess from that. IF they do it insist on them covering your house with plastic and tape.

They can jack hammer that out and repour. Of course the do not want to as that is a LOT of work aka $$$$

Our driveway is rock salt and the holes are bigger and deeper than these are. We did see them use the stamp and some salt. I actually was home and saw them lay it two times and opened the window to tell them “wait that’s the wrong stamp” thinking I caught it in time, but their other stamps were an hour away and the concrete would have cured before they could get the correct stamp here. It was a very bad day. They have proceeded to built the grill on it so now jack hammering it out and redoing it is even less of an option. Which we now think they did on purpose.

“They told us taking it out and redoing it was not an option.”
It’s always an option. He just doesn’t want to eat the cost. But he is likely obligated to deliver what’s in the contract.

The polymer looks nice enough. Will he provide a guarantee in writing that it will perform without issue? And fix it if it does? What about providing referrals for other customers that have used it?

We asked them to guarantee it and they said they would for two years. We want more than that. I emailed to ask for referrals after reading this. Thank you.

In areas with freeze-thaw cycles, the overlay on the top of the old concrete will crack and chip away. Concrete lasts longer than 2 years and if their guarantee of the overlay is not as long as their guarantee of the concrete, insist on the concrete guarantee length.
Here in Michigan, it would be cracking in 2-3 years, usually after the guarantee is up. Just sayin'.

If you really don't like the pattern you have, and since you're in Texas, I'd have them overlay it and put the pattern you want in the overlay. If they prep and apply the overlay correctly it will last many years.

If it was old concrete and/or it was subjected to vehicle traffic I wouldn't recommend the overlay, but it will last many years in a foot traffic area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.