wrong sand in filter

Welcome to TFP.

What was wrong about the sand?

Mindyh:

Welcome to the forum! Can you please add your signature so we have a little more detail on your pool. The first step is to test your water with a recommended kit. If only 2 days have passed, there is a probability that a SLAM is in order. You have an AGP, so the clearing process will take longer because of the location of skimmer and returns.

Have you read the materials in "POOL SCHOOL"?

Mindyh:

Welcome to the forum! Can you please add your signature so we have a little more detail on your pool. The first step is to test your water with a recommended kit. If only 2 days have passed, there is a probability that a SLAM is in order. You have an AGP, so the clearing process will take longer because of the location of skimmer and returns.

Have you read the materials in "POOL SCHOOL"?
I haven’t but will read that now

In order to have TFP water that is crystal clear, you will have to understand the basics of pool maintenance and also purchase your own test kit. Without a kit, you will be going after a pool blindly. Recently a friend of mine who changed the sand, changed the liner, and added new water had no CYA in his pool. He went from clear to cloudy in days. Now he is ordering a kit after what we discussed. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In order to have TFP water that is crystal clear, you will have to understand the basics of pool maintenance and also purchase your own test kit. Without a kit, you will be going after a pool blindly. Recently a friend of mine who changed the sand, changed the liner, and added new water had no CYA in his pool. He went from clear to cloudy in days. Now he is ordering a kit after what we discussed. Thanks!
Our system is a salt water Hayward pump above ground pool

I bought a house that had the wrong sand and after i changed it it took a few days. But post your levels so they can see if it needs anything.
If mine gets too cloudy sometimes i shut the pump off for a couple of days and let it settle then brush to the main drian or vacuum. The floc stuff helps but might cause more issues

Reactions: Mindyh
Really don’t use the floc stuff. :eek: Especially with a sand filter.

Is it bad? I havent used it in while
What about adding something like jacks filter fiber? They told me to add it to my cartridge filter to help pull out iron?

We don't recommend floc be used. It is glue that gums up filters and is difficult to clean out. Sand filters are particularly difficult to get cleaned out after using stuff like that.

If floc is used it should be vacuumed to WASTE. Many filters don't have that capability.

If you want to discuss additives for your cartridge filter then start another thread.

Like markayash said, if you turn the filter off does it settle? If so, you can vacuum it (to waste if that is an option) out although it may take several vacuum/settle cycles.

If it does not settle, your next best option would be to dump it.

Reactions: Mindyh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.