Wrong Hole Skimmer Plumbing

Neto

Jun 10, 2019
Puerto Rico
During my pool build, i noticed that the skimmer was plumbed on the front hole vs the back. Is this ok? My setup wont use an equilizer line, one hole is plugged from bottom.

Attachments

• 23B3F31F-3E92-4F5E-B81F-81C075627517.jpeg
    23B3F31F-3E92-4F5E-B81F-81C075627517.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 57
M,

I assume, based upon your initial post, that they only plumbed one hole and that the other hole has nothing going to it.. The hole with the pipe going back to the equipment pad must be left open, while the hole with no pipe must be capped off.

I missed that the hole is plugged from the bottom.. That would work, but the hole will soon fill with junk. I would also cap it off from the top.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Neto
M,

I assume, based upon your initial post, that they only plumbed one hole and that the other hole has nothing going to it.. The hole with the pipe going back to the equipment pad must be left open, while the hole with no pipe must be capped off.

I missed that the hole is plugged from the bottom.. That would work, but the hole will soon fill with junk. I would also cap it off from the top.

Thanks,

Jim R.
when you say left open what do you mean? I thought that the skimmer line could go to the equipment pad and use a 3 way valve between the main drains and skimmer so that the pump could pull from both or just skimmers or main drains.

I thought that the skimmer line could go to the equipment pad and use a 3 way valve between the main drains and skimmer so that the pump could pull from both or just skimmers or main drains.

Sorry I was not clear.. What you say above is exactly how it should be plumbed.

One line from the skimmer goes to the equipment pad..

One line from the main drain goes to the skimmer pad..

What I was trying to say is that the skimmer has two holes.. One goes to the pad and the other hole is plugged.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry I was not clear.. What you say above is exactly how it should be plumbed.

One line from the skimmer goes to the equipment pad..

One line from the main drain goes to the skimmer pad..

What I was trying to say is that the skimmer has two holes.. One goes to the pad and the other hole is plugged.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Do you mean "One line from the main drain goes to the equipment pad" ? On my setup, one skimmer goes to the equipment pad and two main drains connect together with a T and go to the equipment pad as well. There there is a 3 way valve that will combine these 2" pipes.

I may be a bit slow on my mind sorry :(

N,

All new pools must have two Main Drain covers, but as you say, they tie together into one pipe that goes back to the equipment pad.. At the equipment pad the Main Drain comes into one side of a 3-way valve and the Skimmer comes into the other side of the 3-way valve.. The output of the 3-way valve is connected to the pump..

This allows you to select the pumps input water source.. It can be all from the main drain, or all from the skimmer, or any combination of the two..

Thanks,

Jim R.

In the old days the skimmers were always in deep end. They used flex pipe to go to the pool side hole in skimmer for drains and the outside hole for equipment pad. Many older pools had one suction line and 1 return, 2 if you were lucky, even monster sized pools

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.