Wow, have SWGs climbed in price!!!

DeanP66

Mar 26, 2014
San Jose, CA
I bought a Circupool RJ-45 plus a year ago from Discount Salt Pool and have been very happy with it. I haven't really been looking at equipment much over the last year and was surprised to see the same exact SWG system I purchased now running $330 higher than last year. :oops: :oops::oops:

Anybody know why? I know liquid chlorine prices have gone up quite a bit, but these generate their own chlorine. I guess I feel very fortunate that I got in on one last year at the much cheaper price.:cheers:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The following article provides a good explanation. Essentially, the rare earth minerals used on the plates of the cell have skyrocketed in price. (China, electric vehicles, etc)

Captchaos

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2017
Maryland
Well I guess I’m not crazy. I have been contemplating a Circupool RJ45 Plus for a couple of years now and was all set to order it this week. I swore it was like $1138 10ish days ago when I had it in my cart and now it’s showing $1299. This is a huge jump compared to when I first started looking at it a couple years ago when I believe it was around $900. I know continuing to wait will just lead to rising prices but I can buy A LOT of chlorine for $1300. I know the materials have gone up for the SWG but has chlorine gone up that much to justify this purchase?

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
This is one of the reasons I decided to keep using my old Intex set-up. Everything pool related has jumped in price. My robot went up by $100 within days of me buying it.

Captchaos

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2017
Maryland
I used to have an Intex pool too and bought that SWG in maybe 2012ish and I am pretty sure it was like $150. Last I looked a couple weeks ago that Intex one is WAY up too. Maybe I should sell the old one I still have.

I checked with my wife who bought the liquid chlorine about 2 weeks ago at Walmart and she said it was something like $3.84. That's about the same price as I've been buying it for the last few years. Unless it's gone way up in the past two weeks, I may just keep waiting. It's tough to justify $1300.

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
You absolutely should sell it - you can price it in a way that makes it a bargain for the buyer while still netting you a profit!