Would you use this bleach?

tim_pool_newbie

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 6, 2009
Nazareth, PA
The cheapest bleach I've found in my area is $1.27 for a 96oz bottle of 6% at Wally World. I have actually found my local grocery store (Giant) carries a 96oz jug of their generic brand bleach for only $0.97 each. Only problem with it though is that it is not labeled with any percentage of sodium hypochlorite. So I have no idea if what I'd be getting is 6% or what.

Assuming it IS 6%, it's a great deal, and I'm almost willing to try some out and see if it is as effective as the Wally World generic brand I've been purchasing. I figure that since I know how effective 6% bleach is in my pool, if I add one of these unmarked bottles and it returns the same expected levels, then I can assume it really is 6%.

But my concern is whether or not it could contain other impurities that perhaps I should be avoiding. Does anyone know if a generic brand like this could contain anything else other than chlorine (albeit perhaps a lower concentration) and water??

Is it worth the experimentation, or should I just stay away from it? What would the experts here do???

Thanks,
Tim

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
It could be a really good deal, but I highly doubt it.

My wife picked up a jug of bleach for the laundry at Smart & Final. It's supposedly a wholesale place, right? Should be good deals on cleaning supplies, right? It says plain as day active ingredient 2.75% sodium hypochlorite. Wow, real powerful stuff, huh?

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Since you're aware of the possibility that it's less than 6% and you're ready to experiment a little, it wouldn't hurt anything to try it. Unless it has scents or thickeners in it it only contains chlorine, salt and water.

mynewpool

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
For me if I do not see it listed, I do not get it. I would rather spend a few dollars more and know what I am getting vs having to worry if it works or not.

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Almost makes you wonder in this day and age how a company can get away with NOT labeling a caustic chemical. Thank God it's not a hamburger, huh?

chessie6

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2010
East Hartford, Connecticut
I had bought some Better Valu bleach at a local grocery store - 1 gallon cost $1. Just like you found with your bleach, there's no % for the sodium hypochlorite on the label. This thread got my curiosity twitching, so I just sent an inquiry to their customer service asking what the % is . . stay tuned and I will post back on what they say.

Jan

Ohm_Boy

TFP Expert
May 1, 2007
Orlando, FL
I've always been leery of bleach which does not have the concentration listed on the label. I think the first I saw was a house brand at a Kroger in Katy, TX some years ago. I didn't buy it and got Clorox instead. Still won't get unlabeled, or rather, undisclosed, bleach. Even if I had to clean up a blood spill, which... you know... COULD happen to anyone... I mean, come on..., I'd want to know how much I'd need to use. Recommended for blood-borne pathogens is around 1:100, or about 1/4 cup per gallon of water. That is SUPPOSED to make around a 500ppm solution, but not with cruddy bleaches like the 2.75% stuff.

What? Like you never have to clean up a few litres of blood from the basement floor every week? Ummm....wait... OK folks, move along. Nothing to see here...