Would you get a pool again?

FlapjackMcCoy

Aug 13, 2019
North Carolina
Where I live in NC we have a long pool season. Almost every subdivision has a community pool. When looking for a house it is really hard to find one with a pool because everyone has a community pool. If you do a search for "in-ground" and "inground" pool it narrows down the search to properties with actual pools. I just ran the search now, in just my zip code there are 780 homes for sale and only 3 of them have a pool. So given this, my unprofessional opinion is that around here the pool may add a little bit to the value but it will make your home easier to sell because there aren't many homes iwth a pool to choose from.

Reactions: Sunnymosmile

poolnoobgrandma

Sep 15, 2018
Seminole, FL
If I were to move and wanted another pool, I would probably buy a house without a pool and have exactly what I want for a pool built.
Funny, I were to move and wanted another pool, I would look for a house with a pool that had pretty close to what we wanted. I would guess that we would have saved a bunch of money if we had just sold our house and bought one with a pool. That said, we love our home, neighborhood, etc., and since they are going to take us out feet-first, the resale value issue doesn't really impact us.

Reactions: S-Merry

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
My son always had a pool growing up at our house. He just got a house few weeks ago with a pool. He works tons of hours & so does his wife. He has a pool service. When I go there the pool motor is screaming- filter is black- pool has tons of leaves in it. Does my son go out to clean the skimmers - no. He leaves at 4 & home at 8. My question is - with a pool service can you still own a pool and not do anything to it but swim and enjoy it ??

Reactions: Newdude

S-Merry

Bronze Supporter
Jul 11, 2017
Minneapolis
In MN it doesn't seem to add value. Houses with pools seem to sit at right about the same prices (maybe a touch higher) as similar houses without pools, but it can make the house harder to sell. Our season is short, and filling an inground in if you don't want it is expensive. We did an above ground, mostly because of drainage issues, but when we go to sell it can be taken out and will leave a lovely level spot for a sport court or fire-pit patio (both very popular here).

Our next house will be our "retirement" house. If it's somewhere warm, we'll shop for a house with an existing pool, but might be open to adding one if we need to (seems like it's easier in "pool friendly" climates?). If we stay in MN... I don't know. If we can find a house with a pool that works for us, yay, if not, I'm not sure we'd invest the money, time, and headache to put an inground in. At that point, maybe we'd just get a swim-spa?

poolnoobgrandma

Sep 15, 2018
Seminole, FL
Low maintenance! Can you be a pool owner and not do anything!
Not that I have figured out - but we are trying! :)
If they have a pool guy for chemicals and vacuuming once a week, I highly recommend the hairnets for the skimmer. No dumping out and rinsing. Just pop one off and put a clean one on.

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
Not that I have figured out - but we are trying! :)
If they have a pool guy for chemicals and vacuuming once a week, I highly recommend the hairnets for the skimmer. No dumping out and rinsing. Just pop one off and put a clean one on.
They have a service but he going to learn he has go look and see if skimmers are clog. The motor burnt out already. I told him close it ! He did until next year. I know I’m going to get called to fix it.

BMK

Bronze Supporter
Mar 29, 2016
SW PA
Our community is peppered with inground pools, but by no means is it the norm. Its a sellers market for those looking for that amenity, so it does add some value. There woukd be plenty of other homes in the area for sale without pools, so if a buyer is looking at our particular house, one of the reasons is because of the pool. That creates value.

In areas where pools are much more common, I can see where they wouldnt add a lot of additional value.

Concord122

Sep 11, 2019
Spring, TX
In areas where pools are much more common, I can see where they wouldnt add a lot of additional value.
On the other hand, in an area where most houses have pools you could say that a house without a pool would be less valuable as it is lacking a standard feature/ammenity.

Being in TX, I would say that over half the houses in our immediate area have pools. We specifically bought a house with a pool because they are so expensive to put in after the fact, although I understand the allure of having exactly what you want constructed. All else being equal, many of the houses without pools weren't substantially cheaper than those with pools either. If there was a community pool within easy walking distance of our house, then I might feel differently, but there aren't any.

anotherpyr

Jun 22, 2007
Columbia, MD
Depends on the pool. I bought a house with a pool, but it wasn’t a deciding factor nor did we pay more to have it. I think an over the top island paradise pool would make me pass.