Would you get a pool again?

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
cost and amount of work maintaining it the tfp way, is just a no brainer to me...like mowing the lawn. It is like mowing the lawn.——————— We been having so many storms up north. I just vacuum the pool yesterday- vacuum this large pool takes 2 hours. I had the hose in it all day to fill water line past top of skimmer because I vacuum to wast. Had it looking good then this storm came last night. OMG!! Do I vacuum again ? I did leave the pump on all night and that helped but it’s a mess. Owning a pool is lots of work. It’s easy if no wind storms come but now I’m getting frustrated.
Marty, i like you was not a fan if the vaccuming. Changing my way of doing it changed my attitude. I do a quick sweep with the broom into the deep end and then vaccuum the deep end while snorkling. Doing it in the pool makes it more like swimming and less like work. Its calm and peaceful and actually enjoyable as my personal 'quiet time'. I still have to spot check the shallow end and slope but its quicker and far more enjoyable than doing it from the patio.

Reactions: Chickinvic

Chickinvic

Jul 12, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Can I ask- what did it cost for new liner- install?
We did some addition all repair work to the concrete around the pool and also had the coping replaced, so the total came to just under $12k Canadian (whatever that would be in American). I am guessing it would have been less than 1/2 that without all the additional work. Price also included the water trucks to fill.

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
Marty you sound like prime candidate for a pool robot.
They have models with active brushes front and back.

I have a lower end model but it does a great job and I don't have to manually vac.
Wife wants to buy the electric vacuum but I keep saying no. I’m retired and I’m out there skimming 2 x a day so the leaves don’t go on bottom. If we had no storms I only need to vacuum 2 times in 3 months. I stopped vacuum before we closed pool. It a wast because opening there leaves init anyway. Maybe wife will get me one for my birthday?? I just can’t see $1000 bucks for 4 hours a season. I don’t think it will do 9 foot deep end ?

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
We did some addition all repair work to the concrete around the pool and also had the coping replaced, so the total came to just under $12k Canadian (whatever that would be in American). I am guessing it would have been less than 1/2 that without all the additional work. Price also included the water trucks to fill.
What is coping?

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Wife wants to buy the electric vacuum but I keep saying no. I’m retired and I’m out there skimming 2 x a day so the leaves don’t go on bottom. If we had no storms I only need to vacuum 2 times in 3 months. I stopped vacuum before we closed pool. It a wast because opening there leaves init anyway. Maybe wife will get me one for my birthday?? I just can’t see $1000 bucks for 4 hours a season. I don’t think it will do 9 foot deep end ?
A robot will absolutely do a 9’ deep end. But if you don’t need it...

ColinCanada

Jul 23, 2019
Brentwood, UK
We were just talking about that new electric pool vacuum. No hoses to mess with. It has its own built in filter ? How does it clean bottom? Leaves I know it can clean what about the very fine black stuff on bottom? How do you think it will clean the deep end ? 5 ft drop to 9 ft deep ?

ColinCanada

Jul 23, 2019
Brentwood, UK
We were just talking about that new electric pool vacuum. No hoses to mess with. It has its own built in filter ? How does it clean bottom? Leaves I know it can clean what about the very fine black stuff on bottom? How do you think it will clean the deep end ? 5 ft drop to 9 ft deep ?
Hi
I bought a MAYTRONICS DOLPHIN ZENIT 20 and it is well worth the money... save all the hassle of vacum the pool with tubes/brushes etc... you just put it the pool and it runs itself. It cleans the bottom and sides .. depth is not an issue . Mine is abut 6 feet in the middle of the pool. Whilst I live in the UK I think you will find you can buy the DOLPHIN in the USA for about $700... swimming pool kit over in Europe costs a bomb! So you should think yourself lucky!!!!! Good luck and if I can help let me know.

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
Hi
I bought a MAYTRONICS DOLPHIN ZENIT 20 and it is well worth the money... save all the hassle of vacum the pool with tubes/brushes etc... you just put it the pool and it runs itself. It cleans the bottom and sides .. depth is not an issue . Mine is abut 6 feet in the middle of the pool. Whilst I live in the UK I think you will find you can buy the DOLPHIN in the USA for about $700... swimming pool kit over in Europe costs a bomb! So you should think yourself lucky!!!!! Good luck and if I can help let me know.
That’s the one we looked at. Price said $1400 new but then it said E$700. What’s does E mean ?

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
The euro is worth more on the global market. So 700 Euros today is the same as $777. It didnt devalue at almost half recently so it may have been a really old webpage you were looking at. There is usually a conversion charge but it would be in the 10-20% range, not 100%.

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
The euro is worth more on the global market. So 700 Euros today is the same as $777. It didnt devalue at almost half recently so it may have been a really old webpage you were looking at. There is usually a conversion charge but it would be in the 10-20% range, not 100%.
I looked. $700 but they are rebuilt. New over $1000. I will keep looking over the winter for a sale.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Maybe ‘E’ is their company code for refurbished. Sorry for the wild goose chase. ‘E’ usually means Euro everywhere else. Fooled me cuz we had a Canadian and someone from the UK adding input to the discussion.

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
Maybe ‘E’ is their company code for refurbished. Sorry for the wild goose chase. ‘E’ usually means Euro everywhere else. Fooled me cuz we had a Canadian and someone from the UK adding input to the discussion.
phin
4.2 out of 5 stars 1,186Reviews

Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner with Easy to Clean Large Top Load Filter Cartridges and Tangle-Free Swivel Cord, Ideal for In-ground Swimming Pools up to 50 Feet.
It doesn’t say 10 -20 model? It’s $700 new
Found this on Amazon. Model 99996403-PC

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
Last question- should I just look for and get this model? The one you have. Thanks for all the answers. MAYTRONICS DOLPHIN ZENIT 20. All the videos are not in English. Funny

jkowskidpm

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2017
Menomonie,WI
I compare having a pool to having horses. They cost $ to just have, BUT, if you enjoy them on a daily basis, it is well worth it. Our summers up here a short, so maximizing enjoyment is key. Some people up here buy cottages on a lake, or a boat. I walk 20' and dive in. Last week we had major heat and humidity. Most people sat inside their house too miserable to go outside. I just smiled as they complained. We did the horse/ hobby farm thing for about 10 years. when the joy became work, we moved on and found a house with a pool. This is our third summer here. Still and joy and doesnt feel like work at all, even though there are occassional stresses> I am so thankful i found this site!!!. At this point cant imagine a summer without a pool. If/when we loose that joy, we will move on, and find a new joy

Reactions: Newdude

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
I compare having a pool to having horses. They cost $ to just have, BUT, if you enjoy them on a daily basis, it is well worth it. Our summers up here a short, so maximizing enjoyment is key. Some people up here buy cottages on a lake, or a boat. I walk 20' and dive in. Last week we had major heat and humidity. Most people sat inside their house too miserable to go outside. I just smiled as they complained. We did the horse/ hobby farm thing for about 10 years. when the joy became work, we moved on and found a house with a pool. This is our third summer here. Still and joy and doesnt feel like work at all, even though there are occassional stresses> I am so thankful i found this site!!!. At this point cant imagine a summer without a pool. If/when we loose that joy, we will move on, and find a new joy
Nicely said. My problem- it’s not a problem more like to many toys. I have a 2320 parker boat and it’s 17 years old and always need work. Add the maintenance for the pool. Scub diving, taking care of house , cut the grass. Lol. I’m 63 and getting a little tired. If we only had a pool - it would be nice. We do enjoy it. You know what’s wrong- summer are to short here in NY.

Reactions: jkowskidpm