Would you get a pool again?

Chickinvic

Jul 12, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Yes, I absolutely would in a heartbeat. Actually a pool was one of our "must haves" when we were looking to buy a house this time. In our area in Ottawa many houses have pools.

Chickinvic

Jul 12, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Here in New York the pool season is so short and if you try to extend it, your dealing with keeping the leaves out or keeping the heater on. Electric is so expensive. Our electric bill in winter can be as low as $200. Now it’s $600 and can hit $800. We love our pool.
Wow, your electricity is pricy. Here in Ottawa it is far more reasonable. We swim from mid-May to mid-October. Leaves are the hassle in October. We use a natural gas heater (and our gas is fairly reasonable too). I knew when we bought this place it would be a luxury and an extra expense. I just consider it as part of the budget that we will spend more on natural gas during swim season.

Chickinvic

Jul 12, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
True. I know the answer with real estate. No one wants a pool.
We did. Actually it was a must when we were house hunting (since no bloody way was I going to pay to have one installed, and hubby and I both love to swim). Ours gets used pretty much every day during the 5 Months it is open We are in it for hours most nights.

Reactions: Marty D

LazyLapper

Feb 21, 2012
Tennessee
YES, absolutely. It is definitely a luxury, and a feature that requires diligent maintenance. AND for me, it is something I have always wanted and use almost daily for eight months per year.

IMHO, key factors are: how long do you plan to live in that location, how much will the pool be used, what features will give you the most enjoyment, and what size will satisfy you. Size definitely impacts building and ongoing costs. Our pool was built to fit on a small lot, and also to keep maintenance costs down (lower quantity of chemicals, lower utility bills, and less upkeep). We added an automatic cover to the mix due to (a) mature trees nearby, (b) keeps water warm, and (c) combined with heater, this doubles -- if not triples -- the swimming season in Tennessee.

I have belonged to numerous health clubs/swim clubs in our area, and none compares to the high satisfaction and health benefits of having an exercise/enjoyment pool available at any hour in our own back yard. No overcrowding, no waiting for a lap pool lane, no waiting till Memorial Day for the pool to open, no frustration because the pool is closed on Sundays/after 6 p.m./after Labor Day, no aggravation of loading the car and driving to the pool only to be rained out of a good time.

We added a pool not for real estate value, but as an investment in personal health and joy.

an1vrsy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
A pool is a "must have". In my area, when we put our pool in, the neighbors were like, "the park with a pool is around the corner". Then they'd walk away shaking their head. Within 2 years, 4 neighbors put in pools. The park didn't close but I didn't say anything, either.

Reactions: borjis

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
Having a pool growing up and then married with kids- having a pool again and now having grandkids and having a pool again- I watched them all have great summers. It is a lot of work but it’s worth it. I hope to do it again with great grandkids!!

GeorgiaPoolOwner

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
Canton, GA
I installed a pool at my last house, and would do whatever I could to avoid having to do so again (because you really need to be there a long time for it to make sense, and things change).

With that said, I learned that I never again want to live somewhere without a pool. When I bought my current house, I was only interested in houses that already had a pool. Everyone says that having a pool doesn't affect the value of the house. I certainly wouldn't put in a pool as an investment, but here were my anecdotal experiences:

My last house sold for about 30K more than any house in the neighborhood before it, and a year and half later is still the highest sale in that neighborhood (although a couple others have come closer since then).

In looking at houses, it seemed every house I looked at with a pool that had the other things I was looking for was in a 450K+ price range. Comparable homes except the pool were around 380. I cannot say that the pool is why those houses cost more, but it was clear to me that houses with pools were selling for more than comparable homes without one.

Since I purchased my house last March, I have been contacted by 4 realtors with clients looking for a home in my neighborhood with a Master on Main and a pool. So apparently, that combination is both desirable and difficult to find. I still see houses with pools in my neighborhood listed much higher than those without.

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
For me, on a hot sunny day, you just can't put a price on the awesome-ness of having your own back yard oasis.

Growing up with above ground pools ( we had one and 3 of our neighbors did too) I vowed one day
to own a home with an inground pool.

My first house had a pool.
The second house I live in now, has a pool.
The cost and amount of work maintaining it the tfp way, is just a no brainer to me...like mowing the lawn.

I don't foresee moving out of this one for the rest of my life...unless I win the lottery.
In that case, if I do end up in another house...it has to have a pool or have room for one to be put in.

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
cost and amount of work maintaining it the tfp way, is just a no brainer to me...like mowing the lawn. It is like mowing the lawn.——————— We been having so many storms up north. I just vacuum the pool yesterday- vacuum this large pool takes 2 hours. I had the hose in it all day to fill water line past top of skimmer because I vacuum to wast. Had it looking good then this storm came last night. OMG!! Do I vacuum again ? I did leave the pump on all night and that helped but it’s a mess. Owning a pool is lots of work. It’s easy if no wind storms come but now I’m getting frustrated.

Reactions: borjis

Chickinvic

Jul 12, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
cost and amount of work maintaining it the tfp way, is just a no brainer to me...like mowing the lawn. It is like mowing the lawn.——————— We been having so many storms up north. I just vacuum the pool yesterday- vacuum this large pool takes 2 hours. I had the hose in it all day to fill water line past top of skimmer because I vacuum to wast. Had it looking good then this storm came last night. OMG!! Do I vacuum again ? I did leave the pump on all night and that helped but it’s a mess. Owning a pool is lots of work. It’s easy if no wind storms come but now I’m getting frustrated.
Your pool is huge, so I can imagine vacuuming takes awhile. Ours is 20 x 40, and since it has been opened this year (with a new liner and freshly filled), I only vacuum about once a week. When we had a white liner (old one) I vacuumed daily but it only took about 10 minutes.

For the OP, in the time since we've opened the pool this year with a new liner/fresh water the only thing I've done is add stabilizer at the beginning, added salt at the beginning, and turned on the SWCG. I test it, but have had zero issues. Haven't had to add anything. I take some time with the net before swimming to scoop up the debris left by a big tree near the pool, but that is it other than a weekly vacuuming.

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
After the storm last night at 5 am this morning I was able to clean the pool. Done by 7:30. Look what just came now. Again - a rain wind storm.

Attachments

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
Your pool is huge, so I can imagine vacuuming takes awhile. Ours is 20 x 40, and since it has been opened this year (with a new liner and freshly filled), I only vacuum about once a week. When we had a white liner (old one) I vacuumed daily but it only took about 10 minutes.

For the OP, in the time since we've opened the pool this year with a new liner/fresh water the only thing I've done is add stabilizer at the beginning, added salt at the beginning, and turned on the SWCG. I test it, but have had zero issues. Haven't had to add anything. I take some time with the net before swimming to scoop up the debris left by a big tree near the pool, but that is it other than a weekly vacuuming.
Can I ask- what did it cost for new liner- install?

• Angry
Reactions: BMK

Pool_Medic

In The Industry
Apr 1, 2018
Bangor Maine
Even though our pools have provided years and tears of enjoyment, not a chance I would invest the money needed. Hindsight has the opportunity to realize where money could be better spent.

Neto

Jun 10, 2019
Urbana, MD
Also, it depends on many things like how old is the pool, what type of pool (gunite, fiberglass, vynil), the equipment, the materials and if it needs any minor or major changes. For example, a pool with full automation, VS pump, nice filtration system, saltwater Chlorinator, nice Decking (travertine, flagstone, etc), special plaster finish, extra features, spa, etc. Location is a big impact too... How you present the house is also important, if you are selling a house with a pool that has green water, people will run away and will not get interested if they have never had a pool before.

Reactions: Chickinvic

ColinCanada

Jul 23, 2019
Brentwood, UK
Hi everyone
I live in the UK and have an outdoor pool, 32 feet x 14 feet. When we bought the house the pool was already in and working... kind of! I tend to maintain to myself which keep costs down. Have installed a new gas heater, Hayward Sand Filter and new pump.Just bought an automatic electric pool cleaner which is worth its weight in gold.... get one.

Would I want a house with a pool when I move? No! A pool looks good but in Northern Europe (UK) its really a waste of money. Kept my current one as the estate agent said it could be a selling feature to a family with kids.Refurbishment was more cost effective than filling it in a landscaping the area.

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
Hi everyone
I live in the UK and have an outdoor pool, 32 feet x 14 feet. When we bought the house the pool was already in and working... kind of! I tend to maintain to myself which keep costs down. Have installed a new gas heater, Hayward Sand Filter and new pump.Just bought an automatic electric pool cleaner which is worth its weight in gold.... get one.

Would I want a house with a pool when I move? No! A pool looks good but in Northern Europe (UK) its really a waste of money. Kept my current one as the estate agent said it could be a selling feature to a family with kids.Refurbishment was more cost effective than filling it in a landscaping the area.
We were just talking about that new electric pool vacuum. No hoses to mess with. It has its own built in filter ? How does it clean bottom? Leaves I know it can clean what about the very fine black stuff on bottom? How do you think it will clean the deep end ? 5 ft drop to 9 ft deep ?

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Marty you sound like prime candidate for a pool robot.
They have models with active brushes front and back.

I have a lower end model but it does a great job and I don't have to manually vac.

Reactions: bmoreswim

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
A pool is a "must have". In my area, when we put our pool in, the neighbors were like, "the park with a pool is around the corner". Then they'd walk away shaking their head. Within 2 years, 4 neighbors put in pools. The park didn't close but I didn't say anything, either.

We had 3 neighbors with pools and open invites at all of them. But we had an hour and a half in between school and activites by the time we packed towels and sunblocked and trudged 'all the way across the street' or 2 doors over, we had 45 minutes. Now we have all the supplies ready to go in the backyard and can be suited up a minute.