Would you get a pool again?

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
If you were buying a house would you want a pool with the house sale ? They say selling a house with a pool does not increase the value?

Rocket J Squirrel

Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
I did buy a house with a pool in 2012. The Mrs. and I both wanted a pool - our first that wasn't shared in a condo complex. We also looked at pool-less homes with enough backyard to dig our own pool. We found one with an old pool which needed work and we put in the needed work. I believe the expense of that work adds to our home's "basis" for tax purposes when we sell, but I don't know whether it will increase the sale value; that will be determined by the market. Many homes in my area have pools, so I guess a pool is expected by a potential buyer.

Reactions: Chickinvic

homegameroom

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2015
Sunrise,FL
Ditto. I bought a house with a 20-ish year old pool in 2015 here in South Florida. I've managed to do all of the repairs on my current pool (well, mainly just the equipment and not the pool itself) by myself with a little thanks to the TFP forum and I love it! I would rather not be without a pool in a warm climate.

My family had an inground pool when I was growing up in upstate New York which we enjoyed for the fairly short pool season. I really enjoy my current pool - from March 17 to January 2!

Homes with pools do not seem to get too much more $$ when sold in this neck of the woods, especially when you consider the cost of the installation. Your mileage may vary.... :snorkle:

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
A pool wouldn't be high on the list of "must have's" because no one can build the pool of your dreams accept for you. If 2 home were truly equal with one having a pool and one not, if I liked the pool, that could sway me to get the pool house. I would always build a pool though if the house did not have one. We will be contemplating our retirement castle in the next 10 years or so and this will play into our decision. I will tell you having built a pool I know exactly what I want now. I would not change much with my pool I am actually quite pleased with how it turned out. But the next pool will absolutely be enclosed with some sort of screened or full enclosure. The main thing I don't like about the pool is the bugs and leaves that get in it.

Reactions: Marty D

TylerKee

May 9, 2019
Houston TX
I slavishly manage and maintain my pool, but if I fell into $10K tomorrow that could only be used in my backyard, there'd be a crew trucking in fill dirt tomorrow.

Three things could change my mind.

1.) - a much deeper pool. Seems every pool in the neighborhood is 6 feet deep max. Ours has a 3 foot by 15 foot section that's 6 feet deep. The rest is wading area. I'd love to be able to dive down and find a cold spot.
2.) - a different climate. I'm in Houston. Get out of my 88 degree water and you're enveloped in a hot wet blanket of humidity.
3.) - a different living situation. My in laws live 3 blocks away and have a nice pool that my wife and son swim in almost daily with the rest of the family.

I don't see a pool adding much in value to my home and any value it adds is offset very quickly by my insurance premiums, the fence I had to erect, and all the things that go along with having a pool. I'd prefer to have a lawn and a garden again. My son seems just as pleased to run through a sprinkler as he does to swim, and that's a lot cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BowserB and Marty D

tkrotchko

May 7, 2013
Brookeville, MD
If you were buying a house would you want a pool with the house sale ? They say selling a house with a pool does not increase the value?
20+ year veteran of a pool I put in, and I just refurbed our pool last fall, and I do greatly enjoy a pool.

If I didn't know about pools, I would be skeptical of buying a house with a pool particularly a gunite pool. The potential issues with an in-ground pool are many and IMHO there are few experts in our area who can definitively tell you the current state of the pool, which includes plumbing, electrical, gas, structural, plaster aesthetic and a host of other issues that may not be obvious on the surface.

And unless you're handy these are not $100 dollar issues, either.

Keep in mind a complete pool refurb (not including equipment) for a mid-size pool is expensive, and in the frost belts will have to be done from time to time. If a buyer is on the fence about a house with a pool that looks a little run down, they will either reject the property or they'll ask for a contingency and an expert's opinion on potential repairs needed. In that case, it lowers the value of house.

So that is the downside a pool owner will face. You need to keep up with the pool and keep it looking great. If you have cracked decking, coping that looks dingy, staining of the plaster, missing or mismatched tiles, it's a liability to your house, not an asset.

Just my opinion.

Shirker

Jul 2, 2014
Athens, GA - USA
I would buy a house with a pool but I'm not sure if I would pay significantly more for a house with a pool. The risk and unknowns (are there hidden issues that are going to cost me money later) balance out the pluses of having a pool.

I recently sold a house with an above ground pool (with nice deck and lots of landscaping). I'm not sure if the pool won them over or not but we did get asking price for the house.

Reactions: tkrotchko

hoskim

May 27, 2016
Berkeley Heights, NJ
Absolutely NOT for me (in NJ) until I retire or something in Florida :) Don't get me wrong as I actually found some enjoyment / satisfaction out of maintaining the pool / crystal clear water but my wife and I do not use the pool often at all.

We initially did not want to buy this house due to the pool but was a good deal so reluctantly bought it. While I truly enjoy learning through this forum and basically became a chemist (e.g., pool water) and mechanical engineer (e.g., pump seal replacement, taking Polaris apart, replacing leaking Polaris volute 8 times over last 3 years, etc.), not sure the cost / benefits are there for us. Of course, my 14 yr old son's friends love the pool and I appreciate that :)

This is our 4th season, and we have been spending, on an average, $4000-5000 or so a year (e.g., opening /closing, electricity, a new VS pump, a new liner, chemicals, etc.). I think this cost will come down as we replaced most major things and DIY opening / closing starting this year (do not have a heavy duty air compressor / cyclone yet for closing).

One question I would pose to myself (and others, perhaps) may be:

Would I buy a house with a pool or buy a different house worth $100,000 more (e.g., a $500,000 house with a pool or a $600,000 house without a pool)?

To me, $4000-$5000 annually = about $400 a month in mortgage ($100,000 @4%, 30 yrs), not to mention the difficulty of selling the house with a pool. Why do I feel like a pool is like a timeshare (have) or a boat (do not have)? :)

Shirker

Jul 2, 2014
Athens, GA - USA
Would I buy a house with a pool or buy a different house worth $100,000 more (e.g., a $500,000 house with a pool or a $600,000 house without a pool)?
For me, the pool would be a bonus, not a premium. So no, I would not buy more house with less (no) pool. I would buy the house I wanted regardless if it had a pool or not. If I was able to narrow it down to two equal houses and one had a pool, then I might lean towards the pool.

Marty D

Jun 16, 2016
Quogue new york
Here in New York the pool season is so short and if you try to extend it, your dealing with keeping the leaves out or keeping the heater on. Electric is so expensive. Our electric bill in winter can be as low as $200. Now it’s $600 and can hit $800. We love our pool.

Poolmama!

Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2019
Dallas, Tx
When we sold our last house (Dallas area), not having a pool was an issue...got so tired of hearing "it doesn't have a pool"...(especially when they wasted our time on a showing...you can clearly see from online photos/info that we don't have a pool!). Definitely won't get your $ out of it, and we knew that putting one in our new home, but I definitely think a pool would have helped our last house sell faster and would have swung on-the-fence buyers our way. Apparently we were the only house on our street without one, even though our master planned community has 2 pools...one is a beach entry really nice one, too. We're still in the honeymoon stage with our new pool, so can't really say if we would or wouldn't do it again yet.

Rq120

May 3, 2019
Florida
Yes, yes, and yes. But we live in FL and have 2.5 year old twins so we will go so much use out of it. The kids swim every day during the spring/summer. Also, love the backyard view.

BowserB

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Katy, Texas
Here's another reason to have your own pool...and not share it with the neighborhood!

And here's a piece by Dave Ramsey on the economics:

So if Dave Ramsey says you're lucky to get an increase in home value of 7%, then is 7% of your home value the recommended budget for a pool?

Last edited:

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Marrietta Ga
Use to cost me a lot in chemicals and power but have learned a little TlC can prevent a lot bigger issues. I dont test a lot unless i notice my water color looks a little greener. Usually catch it in time that a little extra chlorine clears it up. But go to the pool store with algea, you will walk out Spending at least $100.
Power was a concern but this VS pump and. Using around 150 watts is super cool ;)

Reactions: JoanC