would like to convert to BBB but need some help. scared.

May 23, 2012
Jensen Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone!
Excited to try BBB method but terrified of making a mistake. Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is my first post so I hope it's ok.

FC 5
TC 5
TA 120
PH 7.6
CH 250
CYA 90

Done with Taylor test kit I bought at leslie's.

Hi, welcome to TFP! The most important part of the BBB method is to know how to test your pool and how to apply the test results to balance the water. Your results look ok, but that is only part of the picture. How does the pool look?

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Which Taylor test kit did you buy? Do you have the kit number (like K-2005 I am guessing)?

Odds are that it is missing the key test ... the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... which is the key to knowing your FC and CC levels. If your kit did not included it (uses powder, FYI) you can buy that kit separately here:
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

It is pretty hard to make a big mistake ... they are all correctable ... so take a few deep breaths.

IGNORE EVERYTHING BELOW HERE (as I just realized you have a SWG, so the CYA is probably fine)

Your levels look good with the exception of the CYA ... that is pretty high compared to the recommendation of 30-50ppm for a non-SWG pool. Look at the Chlorine CYA Chart in Pool School. For a CYA of 90ppm, you should never let your FC below 7ppm. The real problem with the high CYA is if you start to get algae you need to maintain a shock FC level of 35ppm.

I would suggest starting with a 50% water replacement to get the CYA into a good range and then maintaining reasonable FC levels will be easier.

How are you currently adding FC to the pool? IF tablets, you need to realize that they are continually adding CYA and the only way to get rid of it is through water changes.

Wow! Thank you so much for the quick replies!!! I have done the pool calculator but I am confused with the adding borates to your pool instructions because they say your TA should be 70-80 for swg (which I have) and mY TA is 120. The pool calc says to add borax and acid to alter the ph, then another dose to add borates to your pool. Is it ok to add borax and acid to pool to start BBB method even though TA is 120 and instructions on adding borates says it is very important to adjust to 70-80 for swg first? And Jason, I use an swg for chlorine but I have bleach available if I need it. Thanks again all! Am even more excited now to get started and grateful for advice and support! Pool water is crystal clear....part of the reason I'm scared to do anything! Lol!

Sounds like you are at the point where you are bored with your pool since it is so clean are are looking for something to do ;)

Why do you want to add borates? They are completely optional.

The borates will further stabilize your pH, but that means that changing the pH and TA becomes much more difficult.

Do you see your pH continually rising? The SWG tends to do this. If so, you should lower the TA first to where you see a more acceptable pH equilibrium before considering borates.

@Jason,
Just realized u knew I had swg and also forgot to answer it is Taylor test kit with Leslie's name on it they said was equivalent to k2005 has everything but powder dpd and they looked at me weird when I asked about it. Will order it from site u provided. Thanks!

tikipalm said:
I thought BBB was all or nothing type thing. Not sure why I want to add them except to switch to BBB method. What are some of the reasons to add borates?
so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921-280.html

I choose not to add them cause i have dogs and kids that *may* drink some water....but even it the dogs drink a little it's supposed to be okay, it should not be their only source of water however.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The level of borates recommended on TFP should not be harmful to kids or pets unless they drink gallons of pool water every day. Folks should train their kids and dogs not to drink pool water anyway. :pukel:
Borates improve the look and feel of the water and function as a mild algaecide as well.

The BBB method is really just about understanding the pool chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

Some BBBers may never use Bleach, Borax or Baking Soda

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.