Would like some feedback on my progress please - New pool.

jsnpckns

Jun 7, 2021
Ocean Springs, MS
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all.

I have had the pool up and running since Memorial Day weekend. The pool was swimmable, but I have done some work on it since using what I have learned here. I think I am in a good spot, but I have some questions because I don't want to rock the boat of my water.

So I have been using a hand me down Taylor kit my buddy gave me after taking down his above ground pool. The reagents don't expire until next month, so I figured it was ok to keep using for now. I have also been taking my water to a mom and pop pool store and the local ACE hardware has a testing station.

The pool is 14x35 Aspen pool from Thursday pools, which lists the total gallons at 8423. I have been using 8400 for all my calculations. The rest of the equipment is Pentair, with the easy touch control panel, CP 320 cartridge filter, and an IC40 SWG. I have 3 returns and 1 skimmer. I *think* my plumbing is all 2.5" sched 40. The pool is clear and comfortable (if a bit warm, I average between 80 and 90 degrees depending on time of day and weather. I think I have a good line on my run time and SWG%.

So, where I am at now, I have been reading that my TA should be lower. I made a small addition with Muriatic acid as my pH was at 8.0, and I waited 2 days to see what it would result in. The total add was 26 oz of 31.45% Muriatic. My pH drop was about .4 and about 10 on the TA. I was looking for feedback on my numbers to maybe guide me on next best step to tweak where I am. I have all of today's results, which is the pool store, ACE, and my two test kits. I have my eye on a new Taylor K2006C salt kit, but I hate to waste this one I have if the numbers are good, which is why I have been trying to double/triple check. The pool store does combination of drop tests and some meters, while ACE has a cartridge kit and an optical machine (don't remember the name.

Anyway... Over the last 3 weeks, I have only added the following: 2 gallons of liquid stabilizer, 16 lbs of Calcium Chloride, and about 36 oz of acid. I have been running the pump 10 hours a day from 8 am to 6 pm, and currently have the SWG set to 30% but these numbers came from the SWG set at 40%.

*edit* these are all from a Taylor 2006 kit that I did, reagents are old but not expired. Took out all other store tests except TDS and phosphate/metals*
FC -6
CC - 0
pH - 7.6
CH - 250
TA - 135
CYA - Out of reagent but 2 store tests and the math from what I have added agree on the 55-60 ppm range.
Salt - salt strip: 3500 - 4000, Pentair panel diagnostics on the intellichlor: 3800, green salt light.
TDS - Pool store: 500
Phosphate - ACE: 369 ppb
Copper and iron - ACE: 0

So that's where I am at. From reading here, it seems I want a lower TA and probably bring my CYA up about 10 or 15 ppm. I have a gallon and a half of acid and a jug of liquid stabilizer. I would appreciate any advice on that. I don't have an air compressor to aerate, so I'm a bit nervous about being too gung ho about chasing down pH for the TA as I would rather not have to add any chemicals to bring it back up. Advice is welcome and I can provide any missing information if needed.

Last edited:
The K-2006 should do fine but you won't get a lot of reagents for the FAS-DPD test for chlorine, so I'd get a refill of those. I'd just post results from that kit. We really don't trust how often pool store tests, etc. are calibrated. You'll need reagent for the CYA test too - it's one of the really important numbers to know so that you know what your FC target is. :)

All my numbers listed "Taylor kit" are from a k2006 test kit. I just don't have any salt or CYA reagents left. I have a new kit on order but it won't be here until the 17th. I edited my original post to remove the extraneous, except the CYA which after doing the math on my volume and volume of added stabilizer, are in the right ball park.

Reactions: IceShadow
I’m a little surprised that your FC is only 6 given that you have the same SWG I have and you run it at about the same % with 2 more hours, but I have almost 3 times the amount of water. I know I’m in far more north than you are, but that’s a lot of SWG running for a small pool. The CYA number is going to be critical, when you can test it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.