Lake Charles, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My source water (city water) has a CH of 175, and although I don't add water every week, I do add it about every 3rd week, about 1500-2000 gallons. My CH is running high, 875-900, so I find myself adding acid every other day to keep pH and TA lower(CSI is rarely in a good place). Since my pool is covered and gets no rain water, should I get a water softener to remove the calcium from the water that I add to the pool? I am worried about getting scale on my heater and SWG. Thanks.

Using softened water is a method. There a number of threads in the forum about those that do that.

Or you would just need to do a larger exchange to push your CH lower.

If you use softened water, realize it does nothing to TA in the water. So you will still need to add acid to manage pH.

Thanks again, mknauss. The TA is a weird thing. I test my source water when I refill and sometimes it's below 100, yet this last time it was 300. Not sure what the city folks are doing. I'll read more about the softener idea.

Using your water softener, you might be better off adding less water more frequently or you will need to backwash your water softener more often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.