With bleach expensive and hard to get, whats the dif with liquid chlorinator?

Apr 18, 2017
Lake Zurich, IL
I'm struggling with finding bleach at a reasonable price and appropriate quantity. I can purchase Splash Liquid Chlorinator from local big box which is Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5%. Far as I can tell its same as bleach but twice as concentrated. At $4 per gal it appears to be as cheap as bleach was last year when % is factored in. Am I missing something??? Is there a dif other than changing concentration in pool math app? Almost seems too good to be true given whats going on.
Appreciate any feedback!!!
Thanks!

What you describe is liquid chlorine aka sodium hypochlorite aka bleach.
It is perfectly fine to use. In fact, it is better than household bleach.

Household bleach now typically has additives, is 6% strength or lower, and right now, hard to find.

If you can get a gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine for $4, that is great. Do it.

What you describe is liquid chlorine aka sodium hypochlorite aka bleach.
It is perfectly fine to use. In fact, it is better than household bleach.

Household bleach now typically has additives, is 6% strength or lower, and right now, hard to find.

If you can get a gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine for $4, that is great. Do it.

Howdy,

The HDX liquid chlorine 12% gallon at HD is going for $3.00/gal.

It's the cheapest available considering the higher concentration compared to HEB 8.25% Bravo bleach that sells for about the same.

I use liquid chlorine continuously to treat my pool, so I buy bleach year round wherever I can find it...

Thanks,

Puertex

Was at Fleet Farm over the weekend and they were selling 4 gallons of 12.5% bleach for $9.99.

Menards has "Splash Pool Shock Liquid" which is 12.5% bleach and is the liquid chlorine I have been using to treat my pool for $3.55 per gallon. Knock on wood, their app says everyone has it in stock.

Reactions: IceShadow
The HDX brand at Home Depot is 10% sodium hypochlorite. FYI ---

Hello,
Thanks for the clarification!
I attempted to test it by diluting a sample so that I could test it with the pool kit but it was a crude test.
I read somewhere that manufacturers blend their chlorine slightly higher than the nominal advertised % so that at the end of the advertised life (6 months) it would test as advertised.
Thanks,
Puertex

Last edited:
The HDX brand at Home Depot is 10% sodium hypochlorite. FYI ---

On the vein of bleach concentation I found this article...
Fresh bleach as it comes out of the plant has a higher concentration depending on the season.
Please refer to this link:
According to this article, the concentration advertised is what the manufacturers expect after 6 months, so they load up a bit higher concentration when they first make it.
So with any luck, if you pick up a fresh batch, you may get a bit more mileage.

Also, please keep in mind using the appropriate PPE when handling pool chemicals !

Thanks,
Puertex

Was at Fleet Farm over the weekend and they were selling 4 gallons of 12.5% bleach for $9.99.

Menards has "Splash Pool Shock Liquid" which is 12.5% bleach and is the liquid chlorine I have been using to treat my pool for $3.55 per gallon. Knock on wood, their app says everyone has it in stock.
Menards will run specials on that too, 2-for-1. Last year it was 4th of July sale, and I thought someone said they did it for Memorial day sale too (but I could be wrong - I wasn't using liquid chlorine at that point).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.