Wiring speakers to receiver

May 10, 2016
Baton Rouge, LA
Hello.

A few questions regarding the wiring of the speakers to a receiver. I have been looking (and looking, and looking...) into how I want to rig up my speakers/sound system for the pool area. I think I know which speakers I am going to get, I just need to figure out how I want to power them.

I think that I want to run them into a receiver inside the house. There are a few options that I am looking at for the receiver. I think if I had my choice, I would run it with SONOS via the SONOS Connect Amp. However, that appears to be a bit too expensive. I thought about one of the receivers that have the wifi included in it, but they too are expensive and I might as well just bite the bullet with the SONOS. Now I am looking at likely just getting a cheaper surround sound receiver (second hand from pawn shop or craigslist) and connecting the chromecast audio to it. I believe that this will give me connection via wifi instead of Bluetooth so that I can stream Pandora etc to my speakers and control everything with smart phone/tablet.
If anything above sounds wrong, please correct me as I am just learning all of this.

The Question:

It appears that the reverse sides of these surround sound have many, many connections. Since I am not planning on necessarily running the surround sound speakers into it, just the patio speakers, where would I plug the wires running from the speakers into? (i.e. left right, right rear, center, etc.) Is there another place where they need to be plugged into? If I wanted to hook up surround sound in the living room an keep them separate from the patio speakers, would I have to have a "dual channel" receiver to be able to set up a "zone a" and "zone b"? Also, I am planning to add a television on the patio in the next year or so that I would like to have rigged to the same receiver in order to broadcast the audio over those speakers. Is there anything I should keep in mind with what I purchase now with that in mind for the future?

Any idea of how to determine how many watts I need for the receiver in order to properly utilize the speakers?

Sorry for the crazy amount of questions, but every time I think I know what I want, I come up with some other aspect that may change my thoughts on what I need.

Did you see this post about raspberry pi with mini am in a sprinkler box? Looks like it would be a neat solution for about $150.

If you want to use a regular receiver there I would choose 'full-channel stereo' sound option (or equivalent) in the receiver's interface. You can connect to the L and R speakers and disable the other speakers via the menu > select button.

Yes, you would need a receiver with 'Speakers A' and 'Speakers B' channels to have the option to turn sound on/off in different zones.

ft.

Just curious why not Bluetooth? Maybe the range is not enough. But you are on the right track with the cheap used receiver. I have an old/ancient 2 channel stereo and a Bluetooth dongle plugged in to the RCA jack. You can get the stereo for $100 (new) and the dongle is about $30. I have 2 Bose speakers and this setup sounds pretty good.

Thanks for the reply. I saw that, but I did not really comprehend it. I don't truly understand what the raspberry pi etc is. It sounds like it could work for me, but it is a little confusing to me as to how it all works together. I posted a reply on that thread for him to fill me in on the interworkings and what the raspberry pi actually is.

jdoty - The reason for no Bluetooth is because the placement of the receiver will likely be too far away from my pool for me to control it from outside on the pool/patio. So, yes, range is the issue. I can get wifi out there, and if I need it even further, I can always get a repeater. Similar to your setup, I thought about getting an older receiver and just having it streamed on wifi through the Chromecast, but I am only moderately sold on the Chromecast audio. However, I believe that option would let me stream app music and control everything from my smartphone around the pool area.

The Yamaha Aventages will allow you to permanently wire up a 7.1 indoor system on zone 1 and stereo speakers on zone 2. When you enable zone 2 with zone 1 on, zone 1 will drop to 5.1. This is a great compromise. Some of the other receivers do this, but don't have dedicated banana jacks for zone 2. So you'd have to unplug your 2 rears and plug in the outdoor speakers each time, which is a drag.

Don't forget AppleTV or Apple Airport Express as an option for controlling your music over WiFi from iPhone/Android.

You will need the older Apple TV (3rd gen) unless you can do auio aut via HDMI (which is unlikely with an older receiver).

ft.

Sonos Connect AMP gets my vote. I have 3 of them and while I agree they are not cheap the flexibility is fantastic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.