Wiring SMTD 1000 for 120V

scubapool

Apr 12, 2020
Portland, Oregon
Good afternoon! We've got a ThermaPool above ground therapy pool. It came (secondhand) with a Smartouch 1000. I am using a 120v connection and there are specific instructions for wiring it for 120v.
Question 1:

The AC wire I'm connecting to the terminal block has three wires - black, white and blue.
The terminal block has three blocks - black, white and red.
The instructions say 'To supply 120 V to the heater, move RED 10 wire from RED to WHITE terminal block.'
I've got that much down, but I'm not sure which wires should connect from the AC in that case. Black = Black, White = White and Blue = Red? After moving the RED 10 to the white terminal block there are no wires connecting to the RED block.
Wiring diagram here: Wiring Diagrams

In a separate area of the instructions - it says for 120V Conversion - install jumper wire across the neutral terminal and line two terminal at the main Terminal Block. This combined with moving the Red wire makes no sense to me. Page 19 here: http://acc-spas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/77227-ACC-Manual-062016.pdf

Question 2: If I even need to ask question 1 - should I just be hiring a professional? I'm not opposed to it but haven't found a good resource near me (everything being locked down right now doesn't make it any easier). Does anyone have a good recommendation for a professional in the Portland Or Metro area?

Any help/ advice is appreciated! Thank you

The AC wire I'm connecting to the terminal block has three wires - black, white and blue.

Where is this wire coming from? And is this a new wire or one that has been installed for a while? 120V AC should have three wires, but they should be black (hot), white (neutral), and green (ground). Blue is definitely a non standard wiring color, but I’m thinking that maybe if this is an old wire, especially if it’s been installed for a while that perhaps the green wire has discolored and now looks blue.

Can you post a picture of your wires and the terminal blocks? That might help.

Thanks Brett, the wires are coming from a GFCI enabled cord. First picture is the end of the cord I'm plugging in and the second is where the black cord enters the panel and the three wires are exposed. In this picture, I went with Black = Black, White = White and Blue = Red. Just a note that power DOES run with this set-up but I'd like to be sure it's correct and I'm not really sure whats going on with that blue cord...
gfci_cord.jpg wires.jpg

I think the black and white look good. The blue/green wire should be the ground and that is definitely not in the right place. That third terminal block should only be used for a 240V connection. As you have it configured now it is not grounded and not safe. There should be another terminal block somewhere with other green (or possibly bare) wires. The blue/green ground wire should go there. (It might be in the very lower left of your picture, but it’s cut off and hard to tell.) The third terminal block where the blue/green wire is should have nothing connected to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.