Wireless control for lights

Cephrael

Gold Supporter
Apr 19, 2019
Massachusetts
So tonight I got into bed and noticed that we left the lights on the waterfalls on. I am not trekking all the way out to the pool to get the remote and turn them off, so they are staying on all night.

But this got me thinking that I should have got a way to turn them on/off from my phone. It would also be nice to change the colors from my phone, but not as important as the on/off. Neither light manufacturer seems to offer anything like this, unless I’m missing something.

so I’m looking for suggestions. Thanks.

lights are srsmith treo and cmp waterfall (link for these in sig)

Rattus Suffocatus

Silver Supporter
Jun 5, 2019
Corona de Tucson, AZ
I used a TP-Link Kasa switch instead of the switch that was already on the Intermatic panel in my pool. You do need to use a plastic electrical box if you want maximum range, but that is how I have been turning my lights on and off since week two of pool ownership. It even works with Alexa so voice commands work.

Katodude

Silver Supporter
Aug 22, 2017
West Palm Beach/Florida
Hmm, that picture you have looks like a standard LED controller. You could try replacing the controller with one that is wifi based. Something like this.

You could then control it with your smartphone or even Alexa.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus

rmontgomery

Oct 14, 2019
Rockwall, TX
I have connected one of these inline with power for someone to control lights before...

Cephrael

Gold Supporter
Apr 19, 2019
Massachusetts
I have connected one of these inline with power for someone to control lights before...
That’s a possibility.

setsailsoon

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 25, 2015
Stuart/FL
Somewhere in the circuit there's a transformer the supplies power to the LED lights. Place a Smart Switch at a convenient place in the circuit and set it up on Alexa. I did this with my pool cleaner. Easy to set up and works great.

Chris