Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I and moving and upgrading all equipment to a new pad in a better location. My plan is to have the pump, SWG, and heater power all supplied by the feed that is switched by the timer and then by a master switch that is between the timer and the equipment.
Something like this:
220v feed --> Timer --> DPST switch --> Pump, SWG, Heater
I'm also hoping that this will help isolate the equipment from power surges, lightning, etc when the timer is off.

Am I missing something that would make this setup a bad idea? Thanks.

Last edited:
I like my heater on a separate circuit.

Having multiple devices on a circuit make it difficult to diagnose when you have a GFCI fault. I don’t want a heater problem throwing my pump offline.

I'm with Allen. Separate breaker for heater. Also, I don't think this provides any protection from a power surge. You need a Type 1 and Type 2 surge protector to get maximum protection from that.

Chris

Re-read your post about surge... yes with switch off you have some protection. But most surges are internally induced and severe lightning strikes require the surge protectors. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Yes, definitely have the heater on a separate circuit and timer - you want the heater to turn off before the pump so that the cold water flowing through it for 5 min-or-so will cool things down (so the PVC doesn't melt).

Yes, definitely have the heater on a separate circuit and timer - you want the heater to turn off before the pump so that the cold water flowing through it for 5 min-or-so will cool things down (so the PVC doesn't melt).
Good point. I forgot about that. I had a fireman's switch on my previous timer. I'll add that to ensure it shuts down before the pump does.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I do have a whole house surge suppressor on the main panel where the circuits for the equipment pad originate. My thought was that isolating all equipment when the timer is off would provide some additional protection. We do get a lot of lightning here.

Here is a pic of the setup. I have not connected the equipment yet.IMG_4424.jpg. There are two GFCI circuits in the flex going up to the junction box. It is not possible to pull another circuit through the conduit. One is 220v (20a breaker but 10ga wire) which goes to the timer and then back to the junction box where I will connect pump, SWG, etc. The other is 110v (20a breaker but 10ga wire) which goes to the convenience recep below the timer. The switch next to the recep is a master switch to turn off pump, SWG, etc. The switch is after the timer. When I add the fireman's switch the heater will not be controlled by the master switch, only by the fireman's switch on the timer. I have to ensure that I do not turn off the master switch when the heater is running. Not likely though as I will prob only use the heater for the spa.

Now that you have more info do you see any issues with this setup? I do appreciate the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.