Winterizing 18’ Intex Metal Frame Pool Set (Newbie)

tech_east

May 18, 2020
DE
Hey all...first year with intex pool and looking for advice on how to close it down or winterize for the season. My apologizes if a similar thread has been posted prior. It is a SWG setup with a sand filter as well of course. My thoughts were to drain the pool to about a foot of water left in the bottom (just to keep some weight in the pool / high winds at times during winter with freezing temps) and then disconnect all hoses equipment and store them inside (basement).

Wasn't sure if I should add any sort of antifreeze (maybe the kind for an RV) to stop it from freezing....not sure if freezing will damage the intex liner or if I should add a heavy dose of bleach to stop mold growth etc. I really do not see a need to try and prevent mold growth / algae etc because I am planning on just draining and starting over with fresh fill for next swimming season anyway. I also do not have a cover and was not planning on covering it.

Thoughts / Suggestions from any intex metal frame pool owners out there or anyone else for that matter?

Thanks!

Just wondering why you are draining so much water? I think a collapse is more likely with so little water?
I am not an expert by any means, but I am leaving my Intex full for the winter and using a solid winter cover.

That's a fair question and one I really don't have an answer for. I was just thinking if I planned on starting with a fresh fill for next season I might as well drain mostly. But I guess the same can be said for not draining so much as well so again I am not sure. I was just doing enough to hold the pool from blowing away...never thought about the collapse aspect of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.