Winter/Snow Chemical Storage?

So this is inside my Pool mechanicals room, you can see my MA doser bottle and the refill bottle in the background, and chlorine up on the shelf. been there for a long time with NO adverse effects whatsoever.

Attachments

• IMG_6317.JPG
    IMG_6317.JPG
    486.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6318.JPG
    IMG_6318.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Plettschner
Glad it has worked for you. Not what I would recommend to others. We have seen too many pics of stuff rusting near where acid is stored.
I kept the extra one (cuz they come in a 2pack) on top of the freezer under my carport- rust city! I took care of it when I repainted the freezer & moved the spare bottle to the “go to he!!” Shed.

I have a part of my deck that is next to my hot tub that is 10x10 foot section about 4' high. I build a storage area under it. I enclosed it with vertical 1 x 4 lumber and a solid roof on top so it does not leak. I keep everything in there - hot tub stuff, chair cushions in giant totes, corn hole boards, a cart with firewood for the pit, etc. Bleach sits on one side, along with other spa stuff. MA lives by itself on the other side of the enclosure. Both are in sealed jugs, and the enclosure itself it pretty free breathing. If the bleach and MA were to somehow get together, there are much bigger issues going to cause that.

My test kit lives in a tackle box inside the house.

I have a part of my deck that is next to my hot tub that is 10x10 foot section about 4' high. I build a storage area under it. I enclosed it with vertical 1 x 4 lumber and a solid roof on top so it does not leak. I keep everything in there - hot tub stuff, chair cushions in giant totes, corn hole boards, a cart with firewood for the pit, etc. Bleach sits on one side, along with other spa stuff. MA lives by itself on the other side of the enclosure. Both are in sealed jugs, and the enclosure itself it pretty free breathing. If the bleach and MA were to somehow get together, there are much bigger issues going to cause that.

My test kit lives in a tackle box inside the house.
My tub is on a raised deck platform that sits about 2' high. It's up against the house and two sides are steps up, but there is a section that isn't a step with lattice covering the side... I may have an idea!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well how long till the supposed rusting starts?

My Home Depot keeps the bottles on a metal shelf - with no rust. I suspect it is a matter of the cap being on tightly. It could also be that I use the "green" (weaker) stuff as well, its like 12% or so.

I also have a jug sitting in my pool shed. That shed has metal studs in it, and well as my lawn tractor. Neither the tractor or the studs near the jug are rusted. Other studs are because of water infiltration, but the one 3" away from the jug is just fine.

HCL acid vapor is denser than air, so it will settle, but then it should also not rise out of the storage container on its' own.

Reactions: A.O.
My tub is on a raised deck platform that sits about 2' high. It's up against the house and two sides are steps up, but there is a section that isn't a step with lattice covering the side... I may have an idea!

I basically boxed most of the deck in with 1x4, and I used Ondura panels as roofing under the deck

I used the asphalt ones. They are not going to rust :) and they also hold up better than the plastic ones. I have plastic ones on my greenhouse, and they work well, but they do tend to show dirt, and get sort of brittle.

Storage.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
My Home Depot keeps the bottles on a metal shelf - with no rust. I suspect it is a matter of the cap being on tightly. It could also be that I use the "green" (weaker) stuff as well, its like 12% or so.

I also have a jug sitting in my pool shed. That shed has metal studs in it, and well as my lawn tractor. Neither the tractor or the studs near the jug are rusted. Other studs are because of water infiltration, but the one 3" away from the jug is just fine.

HCL acid vapor is denser than air, so it will settle, but then it should also not rise out of the storage container on its' own.
I do think the problem comes from poorly capped bottles

I was thinking along the lines of, the bottles come very tightly sealed from the factory, but once that seal is broken and the bottle recapped, it can leak vapors.

The vapors do not have to "rise" out of the bottle... temp and pressure changes will force them out.

If i recall the rust on top of my freezer began after the bottle was opened & the little peel off seal was removed. It was up there unopened for quite some time before that.

I keep my half-strength MA in its capped jug inside a 5 gal bucket with lid in my deck box, which itself has pretty good airflow. So far no corrosion on anything else in there. The daily bleach is in a doser bottle inside the same deck box. Dichlor and any other granulars are stored up on the shelf in the laundry room with no liquid stored above.

I did once make the mistake of leaving a small bottle of rust remover paste on an very nice cast aluminum table saw extension. By the time I noticed my mistake, which was several weeks, the damage to the table was done. The fumes had found the unprotected aluminum right through the plastic the container was made of. I look at that ring of corrosion every time I use that tool!

Reactions: Plettschner
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.