Winter safety cover during summer?

Lynn5707

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hi,

While I would love to have an automatic cover for our pool we cannot afford it. I have asked questions here about the safety nets, and they must not be popular as no one has answered. So here is another thought. Does anyone ever put their safety pool cover back on the pool during the summer? I am not talking daily, but if young grandkids would be here and not swimming, and/or spending the night, or if we were out of town. If anyone does that, I am assuming would leave the pump going, etc? I know there are reels for solar covers, as we do have that. Are there any heavy duty reels for the heavier covers?

We do have the pool surrounded by the backyard privacy fence, then another fence inside the yard. Our sunroom opens to the pool, but the doors on the pool side are locked and also blocked from the outside so the pool cannot be accessed directly from the house - if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do what you need to do for safety.

Pool cover reels struggle enough with the weight of the solar covers. I have not seen any heavy duty ones.

Keeping a cover on for too long can cause algae buildup under the cover where the water and cover touch.

Your pump can run with the covers on. The cover does not block your skimmer intake or returns.

Reactions: Lynn5707
I was super glad to only have to install my loop lock once a year. It took me an hour by myself and alot of sweat.

That being said, if I had wee grandkids coming for the weekend and didn't want to worry about them at all, that cover would be back on in 62 minutes.

Thank you both for the information. That is what I am thinking, Newdude, if they spent the night I would just feel better if it were back on. We have grandkids ages newborn to 14 yrs old (about a baby every year) and when they are here during the day there is always someone at the pool, even when others in other parts of our yard and the kids have to have life jackets on If they cannot swim the entire pool. We are having a teenager who is a life guard come give the kids water safety lessons. I figured they would think he was pretty cool and listen to him. Overall having the pool has helped the all the kids become pretty good swimmers which I am grateful for.

Sadly, there was a near drowning around the Indianapolis area Thanksgiving weekend (my understanding the pool was in their home) with toddler twins and following their heartbreaking journey has made me super anxious about the pool.

Thank you both again for your input. I did get a ball park quote on a child safety net, but I haven’t seen many posts on here about them so don’t know if anyone actually recommends them.

Reactions: Newdude
Here is an older discussion about safety nets...

And threads about child safety devices...

It’s way easier with the water height normal, unscrew the anchors that are on the opposite side of where you start, slide cover over the water, place springs over those anchors, then once one side is on anchors, lift the remaining and simply hook them up. It’s very useful to use a drill with an extended bit for anchor bits (you cutoff the working end of it so the hexagonal shape fits perfectly into anchors.

It’s way easier with the water height normal, unscrew the anchors that are on the opposite side of where you start, slide cover over the water, place springs over those anchors, then once one side is on anchors, lift the remaining and simply hook them up. It’s very useful to use a drill with an extended bit for anchor bits (you cutoff the working end of it so the hexagonal shape fits perfectly into anchors.
Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just put one of my normal screw bits in backward in the drill :D

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.