Winter - Pump Run Time when it's <55 degrees

ddurrett896

Jul 16, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
Was told that when the water temp drops below 55 degrees, I can turn off my salt cell and not create chlorine due to algae not being able to grow.

I typically run my pump 1 hour for every 10 degrees of air temp, however if algae can't grow, do I really need to run my pump? It auto cuts on when it gets near frozen, but do I really need to run during the day to keep the pool clean? Thanks!

You need to run the pump for specific reasons. First is to create, or distribute the chlorine needed. Second is to skim.

If you are not creating chlorine but adding it, then skim is the determinate factor. Air temperature has no baring on your pump run time.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
You need to run the pump for specific reasons. First is to create, or distribute the chlorine needed. Second is to skim.

If you are not creating chlorine but adding it, then skim is the determinate factor. Air temperature has no baring on your pump run time.
I remove my salt cell in the winter, so there isn’t chlorine to distribute.

Skim I get, but I only need that for an hour or so.

Then a one hour run time during the winter is likely enough. Though you may find you need to run some for Freeze Protection.

Reactions: ddurrett896
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.