Winter Pool Extremly Cloudy

I am now at first I was not messed up and stopped I was only looking at it once every other week or so I thought that since a solar cover was on and the water was I 50-60 degrees it would be good I am constantly running pump during the night and day running vacuum... I will backwash the filter when I get home it will hold chlorine overnight should I slam it or just keep what I am doing now since the water is that temp

no I added some yesterday about noon and this morning it was still fine does not seem to be loosing much fc…. ph seems to be in the 7s although when I did test is in several different areas it was between 8.2 and 7.5 is that from not running the pump enough i am going to do another full test when i get home...how often do those ph meters that come with the tf-100 kit need to be calibrated

Use the pH test that you compare colors - the K1000. The pH meters are just not that accurate and should be calibrated very often.

It is worse now..cant even see the bottom of the pool I started the slam process and it does not seem to be getting any better after one day usually how long does it take it did seem when I could see the bottom when the vacuum ran over the dirt and algea at the bottom the filter would just return green water back to the pool even after back washing the filter am I missing something or do I just need to keep going ph is around 7.2 cya is about 40

SLAM Process can take a week or two or three or more.

You adjust pH to 7.2 before you raise your FC to SLAM FC level. After that pH test is invalid when FC is over 10ppm. So just test FC, CC and ocassioanl CYA during SLAM Process.

"cya is about 40 " - We round up. If dot disappears between 40 and 30 then your CYA is 40. If dot disappears between 40 and 50 then CYA is 50. Which is it? It matters for your proper SLAM FC.

Take a pic of your stairs or the vacuum in the pool and use it to judge your progress week to week. Post the pics so we can follow along.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When did you last backwash your filter?

What is your clean filter pressure and what is your filter pressure now?

Filtering does not clean algae, chlorine does. You may have green water until more algae is killed.

added another gallon of 10% chlorine this morning very cloudy here today FC is back to 16 and after 2 days little to no improvement wife is very skeptical about this working she want to drain clean and replace water hopefully it will start to work

SLAM Process takes more then 2 days. It can take more then 2 weeks. It takes POP - Pool Owner Patience.

If you have the water available and are comfortable draining will not damage your liner then it is an option.

after a year with water with a vinyl liner would it not hurt the liner?

Your risk is the liner shifts or wrinkles if you drain it 100%. Best to not drain it 100% but leave 12 to 18 inches of water to hold down the bottom.

When you refill your water will have some algae from that water. Immediately do the SLAM Process on the water even if the water looks clear and you should kill that algae in a few days. Also do a good cleaning of your filter and steps and other areas where algae may be hiding.

"CL", if all you have there is cloudy/green water from algae, the proper amount of chlorine, applied consistently via the SLAM Process, will work. Keep in mind that even If you exchange the water, it can revert back to cloudy/green if the levels are not not properly/consistently maintained. The weather is in your favor right now since our hot TX sun hasn't returned, but it will soon. So you can take advantage of the cooler weather and water temps for this SLAM. If you have doubts about the SLAM Process, look back to the following to see if you did all you could:
- Is my CYA accurate (so you know what FC level to be at)? Tested outside on a sunny day, sun at back shoulders, etc)? If any doubt, let us know.
- Did I test the FC at least 3 times per day to ensure I was at the proper FC level as consistently as possible (in your case, a CYA rounded-up to 50 means an FC of 20)?
- Did I brush the pool at least 1-2 times per day?
- Did I remove any ladders, steps, or other potential hiding places that could hide algae?
- Have I been vacuuming to remove dead algae or anything else in the water?
- Am I backwashing when the filter PSI increase by 25% from the starting/clean pressure?

These are rhetorical questions of course, and only you know if they are all being met. But the SLAM Process, when followed correctly, works. We just want to make sure you are giving it a chance. As Allen noted above, if you opt to drain, there will still be residual algae in the filter and lines, so a SLAM will still be required to finish it off. But the choice is yours. We'll be around if you have anymore questions.

I am continuing the slam process I am at work now and wife will check the FC in a bit and we do need to take the ladder out and when should I put a vacuum in if I did it now you would not be able to see it heck
you would not be able to see a foot of the line and would seem like that might not be a good idea now because it would be a place for the algae to attach and grow more and I am assuming it is algae I did not maintain the water like I should added some chlorine and put the solar cover on and forgot to keep adding chlorine I can see the green on the ladder put not much else cannot see more than a foot into the water

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.