WINTER NUMBERS

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I closed my pool on November 22. My PH was 7.5, FC 12.0 (I had poured liquid chlorine to raise it a day or two earlier), CC .5; TA 90, CH 225; CYA (forgot to heck)

I just checked my pool and in the deep end the PH was 8.2 (which is normal because it always rises in the winter); FC 2.0; TA 80; CH 225; CYA 35. Since there is no circulation in the pool I checked the Shallow end also. It was the same except the FC was 5.5 and the TA was 90.

Using the numbers from my deep end my CSI is negative .05.

My question is should I lower my PH to about 7.8 (which would make my CSI negative .45)?

The current temperature is about 40 degrees, but will start to go lower as my PH will again start to rise (perhaps balancing that out).

Thanks

The cold water should help to keep organic activity at bay until you get things running again. But with an FC close to zero, I would make plans to open as soon as you can in '21. Thanks for posting.
I check the FC every six weeks and will add liquid chlorine as the weather warms in March. But one year my PH got so high (or maybe my CSI got out of whack) that my pool walls became like sandpaper. Nobody notices but me but it still bothers me. That’s why I am worried about my PH rising too high. I don’t want the same thing to happen to my floor.
Thanks

But one year my PH got so high (or maybe my CSI got out of whack) that my pool walls became like sandpaper. Nobody notices but me but it still bothers me. That’s why I am worried about my PH rising too high. I don’t want the same thing to happen to my floor.
That's understandable. In cold NJ water, the pH can easily rise and settle to around 8.2-8.5 and should still be okay. Your CH is also on the low side which should help to reduce the likelihood of scale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.