Winter level

blazin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2017
Franklin, MA
Pools been closed, but we've had a lot of wet weather. Looked out today and saw the water is above summer levels and nearly to the point of being above coping...

Water was drained below returns but like I said.. it's been wet.

First winter with the pool, should I pump?

I'll need to get a pump to do so, any recommendations? Thanks

Yeah, a sump pump is a handy thing to have for just this sort of job.

Or you can use a hose and let it siphon off the excess if you have a low spot to drain to? If unsure how to use a hose to siphon check out videos on YouTube. They have some good ones, and siphoning is free!

Maddie :flower:

Pools been closed, but we've had a lot of wet weather. Looked out today and saw the water is above summer levels and nearly to the point of being above coping...

Water was drained below returns but like I said.. it's been wet.

First winter with the pool, should I pump?

I'll need to get a pump to do so, any recommendations? Thanks
I'm having the same issue. My concern is if I pump out will the ice cling to the liner and pull it down or tear it? I'm about up to my skimmer and must be a foot or more of ice.

Don't pump water if there is solid ice since you are right it will possibly not be floating anymore if you drain under it and destructive as you describe.

If the ice is not frozen to the wall you can drain some.

Likely at this point you might just wait and see and likely it will be fine. I know some in cold climates that keep the water up to the skimmer using a skimmer plate and get away with it. Do you have a skimmer plate?

I'm having the same issue. My concern is if I pump out will the ice cling to the liner and pull it down or tear it? I'm about up to my skimmer and must be a foot or more of ice.

I notice the original post has to do with an above ground pool, not sure about them, but can see where there would be issues if the water/ice gets above coping and then back behind the wall in ground.
With an above ground I don't see how there could be an issue since it would just get over rails and on to ground .
Not sure about all your set up and winterizing techniques, but aside from the equipment care, I disconnect the return, plug it, disconnect skimmer hose and cover the top with a hard plastic plate along with the original lid, just in case any rain snow would try and drain in.
and put a skimmer plate in front of it , lower water 6 inches below return when first closing, this year so far a freakish little snow total and above temps but water level almost center of return already.
Not sure how frozen depth wise. I don't cover and last few years the snow was up to top rails, when the weather started to thaw everything, the water level was a couple inches below skimmer.
I wouldn't do a thing, but I don't know if you cover the pool or not.
When I did use a cover I always removed as much snow as possible before it froze to pool surface and that got very old very fast.
No trees of my own but do get a few leaves on very windy days.If you don't cover I would just let it go for the winter.

Don't pump water if there is solid ice since you are right it will possibly not be floating anymore if you drain under it and destructive as you describe.

If the ice is not frozen to the wall you can drain some.

Likely at this point you might just wait and see and likely it will be fine. I know some in cold climates that keep the water up to the skimmer using a skimmer plate and get away with it. Do you have a skimmer plate?
Thanks for the reply! No skimmer plate YET but will be looking into it today. The water level is up to the bottom of my water inlet and steady at this point. I hoping for a few warmer, sunny days, I did note that the outer edge seems to melt away from the liner when it warms up. I'm thinking if I can see daylight or a gap then I know I could drain without pulling on the liner. At this point, we wait and watch! I have a ice auger and a pump, gonna raise some eyebrows drilling ice holes in my swimming pool. :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the reply! No skimmer plate YET but will be looking into it today. The water level is up to the bottom of my water inlet and steady at this point. I hoping for a few warmer, sunny days, I did note that the outer edge seems to melt away from the liner when it warms up. I'm thinking if I can see daylight or a gap then I know I could drain without pulling on the liner. At this point, we wait and watch! I have a ice auger and a pump, gonna raise some eyebrows drilling ice holes in my swimming pool. :swim:

Yeah it should likely be fine. Winter is a gamble even with a properly drained pool so nothing is likely ever perfect.

This is what my pool looked like a month ago and the level is higher now and frozen solid. I would prefer the ice to not touch the skimmer, but for above ground it will likely be fine either way.

2iw0ftt.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.