Will the Liquidator work in my setup

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I am interested in the Liquidator, but not sure it will work without a modification of my plumbing. My pump sits directly below the skimmer with a 2" pvc pipe between them. The straight down drop is about 30". I don't understand the physics, but I have read that there needs to be resistance between the skimmer and the pump for the liquidator to work. Is this correct and how do I know whether the Liquidator will work with my plumbing? TIA

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jun 23, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
The question is not will it work, it's what will you have to do to get it to work? And are you willing to do it.
Given your low suction head you'll most likely have to add a restriction to the suction side to get it to work correctly. If you have a valve just below the skimmer, that might be enough, depending on what type it is.

What does your filter pressure run?

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I do have a ball valve between the skimmer and the pump. The pressure runs about 8 and it rarely gets high enough to require backwashing. Normally it runs around 8 for months. I usually backwash a couple of times during the summer just because I want to and not because the pressure has gone up.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jun 23, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
With a filter pressure of 8 psi you may have a good bit of suction head and if that's the case, the LQ should work fine without doing anything to the plumbing.

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
Thanks Dave. If it turns out I need to change the plumbing, would it be best to decrease the size of the pvc or run more pipe to make it a longer run? Would either of these increase the suction head?

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jun 23, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Your best way would be to put a restriction in the line. Even closing off the suction valve will work unless you have someone that would open it for you without asking. :-D My sis runs with her suction valve partially closed in order to get the LQ to work right.

Feb 8, 2010
Txmat,

I can make you a great deal on one if you decide to go that way. I used mine for 3 months and am just north of San Antonio. PM if you are interested.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jun 23, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
I saw your posts in the other thread. You'll either have to close the suction valve off partially or add an artificial restriction. As short as your suction pipe is you have almost no suction head.