Will chlorine smell fade after...

IDGT

Aug 22, 2018
Jupiter / Florida
Hello all,
My pool is/has been perfect no issues. Yesterday I noticed a chlorine smell for the first time and ran a full test. I have no reason to believe there is algae. My wife, two boys under 2 yrs old and myself are using the pool pretty much daily during the week days (about a hour) and 4-6 hours total on the weekends. I know with certainty and witnessed ? my kids peeing in the pool, wife applying sunscreen on them etc.

My question is if/when I do get the “chlorine smell” from the chlorine fighting the contaminants do I bump up the FC a bit and let nature take its course or go into slam mode? Assuming the overnight test is good.

FC 6
CC .2-.5
Ph 7.6
TA 100
CYA 70(I rounded up)
CH 400
Salt 3600
*water temp 88-90 (with heater)
*solar cover before and after use

Thank you,
Derek

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Chlorine smell is CC off gassing. Keep your FC in the target range or above (as you show) and you should be good.

Find a way to reduce/eliminate the peeing in the pool -----------

Reactions: IDGT

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
As long as your CC is staying under 1 you are smelling normal chlorine sanitation.

Reactions: IDGT

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Also be sure the solar cover is off and the sun is shining on the surface of the pool (not sure if possible with screen enclosure). The solar cover 'traps' the CC.

IDGT

Aug 22, 2018
Jupiter / Florida
Also be sure the solar cover is off and the sun is shining on the surface of the pool (not sure if possible with screen enclosure). The solar cover 'traps' the CC.

Thank you I currently have the cover off today. So I should assume the smell will fade in time assuming I maintain recommend levels?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Thank you I currently have the cover off today. So I should assume the smell will fade in time assuming I maintain recommend levels?

Unless the kids pee in the pool again.:scratch:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Once the CC is dissipated the smell should fade away. It is not the good chlorine, but the by products ----

Reactions: poolnoobgrandma

YonnyPiscinas

Jan 10, 2020
Uruguay - SA
Sorry I was under the impression that the UV rays penetrating a solar cover would break down the CC. Is this a myth? I need to remove the bubble cover in the sun? Thanks

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
For UV to impact the surface of the water, the solar cover must be removed.

Reactions: YonnyPiscinas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.