A few days ago, my CH was 300. My pool return hose came off and drained to just below the return. I filled back up with well water. Ran out of bleach today so put a 3" puck in the skimmer til I can get to Walmart tomorrow. Would the puck raise the CH that high? Or the replacement well water? If it could be the well water, just seems strange it was 300 before and 500 now.
Julie...bring it to shock level...put solar cover on if you have one...run pump 3-6 hours per day and you'll be fine.
I was gone from June 8th to the 18th...shocked up to 16 ppm...put solar cover on...set timer to run from 10am to 4 pm...and when I got back...I still had 1 ppm of FC...0 CCs and my pool...while dirty on the bottom and had some leaves, was sparkly clear. Four days...not a problem. You'll be fine.