Will Algaecides cause burning skin and itchiness?

CarolineM

Silver Supporter
Jun 20, 2018
212
Annapolis, MD
What can cause what you are describing is CC’s in your water, or water being out of balance.

Post your full test results from your own test kit so we can have a look.
 

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
10,589
Evans, Georgia
An out of whack pool chemical level can cause itching..... combined chloramines, out of range pH are two common reasons.

Just so you know- Algaecide does *not* kill algae. It only helps prevent it assuming your pool is clean and free of algae already. Cheap algaecides also contain copper which is totally unwanted in pools as it can stain the surfaces and discolor hair.

Maddie :flower:
 

Trsa SA

In The Industry
Jun 23, 2019
2
South Africa
Thanks for the feedback. Let me explain more about my situation.

Pool is 50kl indoor heated swim school that operates 7 easy a week. PH is monitored via live probe and kept as close to 7.2 as possible and ALk tested every second day.

We switched over from chlorine to a 130watt UV bank and Hydrogen Peroxide system approx 2 months ago. Filtration is 3 bag sand filter. Pump runs 24 hours as do UV lights.

Problem we having is pool water ends up very clear with green hue.

We recently dosed Algaecide which corrected the green hue to a certain extent but caused discomfort and irritations to the instructors.
 

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
10,589
Evans, Georgia
Can you provide a full complement of test results-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

That may help us figure this out, although to be honest I'm not experienced with hydrogen peroxide systems?

Maddie :flower:
 

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
3,711
NW Ohio
Welcome to TFP!

It's far more likely the peroxide is causing the discomfort. I'm afraid a peroxide level capable of keeping a pool clear and somewhat sanitary is also noticeably uncomfortable, it's one of a few reasons we don't promote its use. Most algaecides will not cause discomfort at any level and only some may be uncomfortable but only at extremely high levels that I couldn't imagine you added. Of course, due to the shortcomings with a UV/peroxide system, there is the possibility that something could be growing and causing this discomfort.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Trsa SA