Will a Single union ball valve work?

Cravi5

Bronze Supporter
May 7, 2020
Nj
Hi. Im working on switching to sch 40 for my agp.

I bought some ball valves at Lowe's and noticed they had some with built in unions.

Double union was out of stock but they did have single Unions. Can they work? Or do I have to install the ball valve and a regular union?

My understanding is that it may work as long as the union end is connected to the Equipment (pump/filter) and not more plumbing. Of course I would need to install and adapter in order to connect to the equipment.

Below is what I thinking. Would this work? Or should I just install the ball valves + a regular double union ? I think that once installed, if I unscrew the union that I can just shimmy the filter over a bit to disconnect the plumbing, but I'm not sure.

I mainly want to be able to turn off the flow of water from the pool if needed, but also have the flixibility to be able to work on the equipment if needed

Thanks.

3E2558B4-AF0A-4ECD-B092-3657D722660B.png

That may work but not for long, those ball valves only last a couple years and then you have to replace them when they break costing twice what you paid...

It is better to go with a Jandy neverlube valve in the size pipe you are using..

What size is coming into your pump and out of the filter? I believe both will be 1.5 inch..

get this for your pump threads and your filter threads 1.5 inch high temp union Amazon.com: RWParts 2 Pack - 1.5" MPTX1.5 S HI-Temp Union W/ORING - 2 Pack: Garden & Outdoor

and 2 of these for the pressure and suction side Jandy 2-Way Never Lube Valve, 1.5" - 2"

What do you have going through the wall on your pool? is it also 1.5 inch, if so you can also use those unions above.

These parts will last you year after year, mine have gone 8 years and no issues at all.. :)

Reactions: Cravi5 and Newdude
That may work but not for long, those ball valves only last a couple years and then you have to replace them when they break costing twice what you paid...

It is better to go with a Jandy neverlube valve in the size pipe you are using..

What size is coming into your pump and out of the filter? I believe both will be 1.5 inch..

get this for your pump threads and your filter threads 1.5 inch high temp union Amazon.com: RWParts 2 Pack - 1.5" MPTX1.5 S HI-Temp Union W/ORING - 2 Pack: Garden & Outdoor

and 2 of these for the pressure and suction side Jandy 2-Way Never Lube Valve, 1.5" - 2"

What do you have going through the wall on your pool? is it also 1.5 inch, if so you can also use those unions above.

These parts will last you year after year, mine have gone 8 years and no issues at all.. :)

wow they really have an adapter for everything.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

yes, 1.5” threading / piping throughout.

I like the threaded unions, may see if I can get my hands on one sooner since I’m anxious to get this pool opening behind me.

regarding the Jandy valves... they are STEEP.

At $130 I may have to roll the dice for a while with the cheaper ones. At $11 for the single union ball valve (or $20 if I use a ball valve + double union) it’s hard to justify the $65 price tag right now. I do appreciate it, and I don’t doubt that they are worth the money!

They are steeper now, I know I just bought 10 of them :) Because of all the freeze in the south the prices have gone up... Those ball valves will work fine for about 2 years before the ears break off then hopefully the Jandy valves will be lower :)

Reactions: Cravi5
I just installed one of the white ones u have just below my skimmer - I must say it is 1000% better than the ball valves w/ the red or blue handles. I put some magic lube in it for insurance but it’s got quite smooth operation. I will be replacing my others with them (they only had the 1 @ my lowes). They may not be the best thing out there but they are A+ for the $ in my opinion. Since it only has 1 union just be sure you install it in a way you can remove it.

I just installed one of the white ones u have just below my skimmer - I must say it is 1000% better than the ball valves w/ the red or blue handles. I put some magic lube in it for insurance but it’s got quite smooth operation. I will be replacing my others with them (they only had the 1 @ my lowes). They may not be the best thing out there but they are A+ for the $ in my opinion. Since it only has 1 union just be sure you install it in a way you can remove it.
It’s funny, they were all out on the floor, so I scanned the barcode in the app and asked an employee to grab some of the red handle ones from the top stock at home depot.

While he was up there, I looked at the terrible reviews. I waited till he left (so he doesn’t know I sent him up for nothing), threw it back in the box, and drove the 90 seconds to grab the white handle (well reviewed) ones from Lowe’s.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.