zeezrom82

Jun 19, 2020
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve read through most of the articles and many of the threads, but I’m still confused. Will 20 Mule raise my TA? Other interweb sites say it won’t and TFP threads appear to lean toward yes.

Is there a definitive answer? I’m trying to raise my pH without raising my TA. And yes, I’ve read those articles, too. Still, just curious about 20 Mule and its relationship to TA :)

Welcome to the forum!
Borax will raise TA a little.
What is your pH? Aeration raises pH. It is rare you need to use chemical intervention to raise pH.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Borax will raise TA a little.
What is your pH? Aeration raises pH. It is rare you need to use chemical intervention to raise pH.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
==========================================
Frank’s Pool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 14500 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 11.0 (an hour ago)
CC: 0.5 (an hour ago)
pH: 7.2 (4 hours ago)
TA: 110 (an hour ago)
CH: 225 (2 days ago)
CYA: 12 (an hour ago)
==========================================
I know my numbers are weird. I’m about done with a SLAM and waiting for CYA to soak in.
I’m planning on lowering pH down to 7 to lower the TA, but was also interested in the Borax because of what I read on TFP about it making the pool water nice.
Thanks!

Not stupid but inaccurate. Not having at least 30 ppm of CYA in the water you waste a lot of chlorine during the day that could be used to eradicate the algae.

Reactions: zeezrom82

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve read through most of the articles and many of the threads, but I’m still confused. Will 20 Mule raise my TA? Other interweb sites say it won’t and TFP threads appear to lean toward yes.

Is there a definitive answer? I’m trying to raise my pH without raising my TA. And yes, I’ve read those articles, too. Still, just curious about 20 Mule and its relationship to TA :)
I Love having Borates in my Pool! No algae! U need 30 to 50 ppm. But if u use Borax, you'll have a fight with the PH and have to add a lot of acid. Check out Biogaurd product for borates, they have 1 product that doesn't raise the PH. I'll be getting some of that soon. Amazon.

I Love having Borates in my Pool! No algae! U need 30 to 50 ppm. But if u use Borax, you'll have a fight with the PH and have to add a lot of acid. Check out Biogaurd product for borates, they have 1 product that doesn't raise the PH. I'll be getting some of that soon. Amazon.
Borates are a mild algaecide. You still need to follow the FC/CYA Levels
The Biogaurd product will dramatically raise your TA. Better to use Boric Acid.

Borates are a mild algaecide. You still need to follow the FC/CYA Levels
The Biogaurd product will dramatically raise your TA. Better to use Boric Acid.
Yes Sir, I do. Yes, the initial treatment of the Biogaurd that I used did raise PH and TA and it took a bit of acid. But they have a new product which keeps the PH and TA in check when u add it. I have not used it yet but have heard good things about it. My apologies if anyone thought I meant Borates means you don't have to watch your pool chemistry, bc you obviously do.😜 I will look into the Boric acid. Powder or granular?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.